PhD in Sustainability Science (2019)
The award of the scholarship below is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science programme can be considered as candidates for the scholarship. There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission. Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the PhD degree programme.
Scholarships provided through the Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU)
The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
*The amount of monthly allowance has been changed to 120,000 JPY effective 2017.
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. A strong interest in sustainability studies;
2. A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
3. A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
4. A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree
Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
*Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2019 – may also apply.
5. A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
6. English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to the Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose native language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
- Application Processing Fee: None
- Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
Estimated total expenses for the PhD degree programme for 3 years including tuition are approximately 83,500 USD. Applicants must show financial resources adequate to meet the full costs of educational and living expenses.
For more information click ''LINK TO ORIGINAL'' below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: