The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), in Nairobi, Kenya, and TWAS offer one fellowship each year to young scientists from developing countries (other than Kenya) who wish to undertake their postdoctoral studies in Kenya.
- TWAS-icipe Postdoctoral Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of six months to a maximum period of twelve months at the departments of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Kenya.
- For a complete overview of eligible research interests please visit the icipe website: www.icipe.org. Go to RESEARCH and then drill down through the various research areas to see the individual projects. If you are interested in learning more about a research project for a potential ICIPE-TWAS Fellowship please contact the Lilian Igweta, icipe Training Officer (see contact details below) who will put you in touch with the relevant scientist.
- icipe will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- apply for the TWAS-icipe Postdoctoral Fellowship within 5 years of completion of their PhD qualification;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Kenya);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Kenya or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than the host country) and hold a research assignment there;
- be accepted at an icipe department and provide an official acceptance letter from the head of the department (see sample Acceptance Letter) to this effect. Requests for acceptance must be directed to Lillian Igweta (see contact details below);
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from the chosen department to TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS only. The subject line must contain: icipe/PDoc/candidate’s surname.
- Applicants to the TWAS-icipe Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS only.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: