Thousands of study and academic opportunities in Medicine are available internationally. Conferences and summer schools in Medicine are organized regularly in the best academic centers of the world. The majority of universities and many foundations also offer BA, MA and PhD programs in Medicine as wells as postdoctoral research grants, awards and fellowships. Below you will find the updated list of international opportunities available in Medicine.
Scholarships in Medicine
- The University of Sydney Medicine and Health Scholarships
- Yerevan State Medical University after Mkhitar Heratsi Scholarships
- AUC School of Medicine Scholarships
- The University of Auckland Scholarships for Medicine
- National University of Natural Medicine Scholarships
- Ross University Medical School Scholarships
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science Scholarships
- Vanderbilt School of Medicine Scholarships
- University of Missouri School of Medicine Scholarships
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science Scholarships and Grants
Fellowships in Medicine
- NYU Langone Hospital Internal Medicine Subspecialty Fellowship Program
- National Academy of Medicine Fellowships for Health Science Scholars
- UCSF Department of Medicine Fellowships
- University of Toronto Medicine Fellowships
- NYU Department of Medicine Fellowships
- Duke University School of Medicine Fellowship Programs
- McGill Medicine and Health Sciences Fellowship Programs
- Georgetown University Department of Medicine Subspecialty Fellowship Programs
- Michigan University Family Medicine Fellowships
- Society of Hospital Medicine Hospitalist Fellowships
Conferences in Medicine
- International Traditional Medicine and Phytochemistry Conference
- Latvijas University International Scientific Conference on Medicine
- International Virtual Conference on Emergency Medicine
- Physicians Committee International Conference on Nutrition in Medicine
- Conference on Medicine & Religion
- The American College of Lifestyle Medicine Annual Conference
- International Conference on Radiation Medicine
- Arab Health Emergency Medicine Conference
- International Conference on Disaster and Military Medicine
- UNC School of Medicine Annual Internal Medicine Conference
Medicine relevant accounts on Twitter
I Know the Medicine People Use in Everyday Life, But What is It as a Discipline?
The pills we drink, for example, when having a headache, is only one branch of the Medicine discipline. If you decide to pursue an academic career in Medicine, you should broaden your knowledge of the field and recognize it as a comprehensive area dedicated to all the possible methods of curing and healing people.
Curing and healing people is the final goal of medical discipline, so you could guess how broad and interdisciplinary it is. To achieve this goal, generations strive to understand everything around (chemistry, physics, ecology) and how different aspects of life can impact human health. Understanding the world around is the key to discovering the causes of diseases, therefore, finding treatments for them. On the other side, many things in the human organism happen because of the inner distraction of certain processes. Therefore medical specialists focus on biology, anatomy, and similar fields to fully understand humans creatures. In summary, Medicine is a discipline that explores the inner health-related processes of people and health-related processes in the external environment. By combining knowledge and finding on those two main aspects, medical specialists prevent, explore, diagnose and cure many diseases. Still, much is not explored both because theoretically and practically, it's not possible to fully cover such deep knowledge areas. The world around us is constantly changing, which causes new reactions in human organisms.
Many aspects of human health are still not known by medical specialists. However, in parallel, many areas were successfully explored and gave practical results. Thanks to medical research and achievements, humans can now live with many chronic diseases considered deadliest in the past.
Medicine is extremely broad. It's also extremely responsible. That's why medical students face higher competition when entering university and when graduating from it. Also, that's the reason why medical studies last significantly longer than others. Before granting a student the allowance to enter the practic life and deal with human health, it's necessary to ensure they are as prepared for that as possible.
Specialization options in Medicine
Medical and health science disciplines have many areas to specialize in. There are university majors and medical research directions dedicated to any aspect of human health. Read below the main branches of medical discipline.
That's the medical branch which deals with the creation of drugs. Specializing in medication means exploring all the natural elements and their interrelation with certain diseases, then creating the combination of those elements in drugs.
Not every health condition can be improved by just intaking a medicine. That's why there is a field of surgery that explores the instrumental and manual ways of interaction with the human organism. Modern advanced surgery significantly improved human life, as there are opportunities to save, treat, replace, and remove almost every tissue in the human organism.
Psychotherapists focus on the methods which can help cure patients by communication, Psychotherapy counseling, cognitive-behavioral therapy, etc.
Clinical practice is the area that links the huge scientific research behind Medicine and patients. Clinical practice prepares specialists who work in hospitals or other medical institutions and directly communicate with patients.
Physical therapy deals with the issues related to the musculoskeletal system, which can cause problems of movements or disability to perform a certain activity. Physical therapy works with such issues to help people freely use their physical movement abilities.
You have probably heard that the nervous system is the cause and start of almost all the processes in our organism, so neuroscientists explore the nervous system and its central body, brain, to avoid its distraction.
Pharmacologists usually work in pharmacies, for which they need to have a strong educational background of drugs, their functions, potential side-effects, etc.
If you plan to pursue a research career in Medicine, choose your studies' direction for undergraduate programs that you would want to examine deeper in the future. Each research direction in Medicine requires an in-depth and step-by-step understanding, so unlike other disciplines, you can't freely move between your study areas.
Besides the above-mentioned medicine directions, plenty of others are offered as separate majors in educational institutions and research projects in dedicated institutions.
The best source to find medical research institutions worldwide is the World Health Organization's list or partner research center in the field of health, disease control, medical technology, etc.
People choose specializations based on what type of responsibility they want to take. Medicine is a life-essential field, and it takes much empathy and desires to help people to succeed in the discipline. Meanwhile, it takes courage and determinants as the job of medicians is highly emotional and needs a certain level of cold-hearted approach. In the era of such a contaminated ecology, many diseases need an educated and dedicated approach. We hope this section of ARMACAD will help you make another breakthrough in the field and fight more diseases.