IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowships in Mathematics in collaboration with TWAS
Professional mathematicians are invited to nominate highly motivated and mathematically talented students from developing countries who plan to complete a doctoral degree in a developing country, including their own home country. Nominees must have a consistently good academic record and must be seriously interested in pursuing a career of research and teaching in mathematics.
For a nomination to be eligible, the country of citizenship of the student, the country of residency and the country where the study will take place must be contained in the list of Developing Countries as defined by IMU for the period 2016-2019.
The nomination form has to be filled out online and be submitted by the nominator. Students cannot apply themselves for the fellowship.
Paper applications are not accepted. Changes after submission are not possible.
Conditions for the Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
Conditions for the Nominee (Student)
- The student must be A) resident AND B) a citizen of a developing country which must be contained in the IMU list of Developing countries.
- The student must either
- A) be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country from the following list.
- B) already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based on a developing country from the following list.
- There is no age limit for the student.
Nomination for women students is strongly encouraged.
Expenses that can be covered by the fellowship
The fellowship can cover the entire period of the doctoral program up to four years of the student (nominee). The following costs up to a maximum of USD 10,000 per year can be covered by the grant.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
- The fellowship is incompatible with any other scholarship.
- The fellowship will be awarded starting from the time of selection Fellowship (i.e. without retrospective effect) in case of awardees already enrolled in a doctoral program, and from the time the awardee enrols in a recognized doctoral program otherwise.
- The fellowship will be sanctioned for one year at a time and is renewable annually, based on satisfactory progress of the awardee and will cease to be awarded when the awardee completes the doctoral program or at the end of four years, whichever is earlier.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.