Wells Mountain Scholars Program
Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world, who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMI scholarship
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the board of directors of the Wells Mountain Initiative and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. The selected WMI Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMI Facebook page. Those who do not receive a scholarship will also be notified after August.
Tips for Becoming a Competitive Applicant
The following are suggestions to enhance your scholarship application:
- Become a member of a community service group and record all of your service activities (dates, activities, time spent, photographs, etc.)
- Collect your secondary school transcript, national exam results and grading keys to interpret your results
- Request two letters of recommendation on official stationery from two people who know you professionally/personally and can showcase the reasons you deserve this scholarship
- Have all of your documents translated into English
- Always apply to the WMI Scholarship with the current application form (If it is for the year 2018, apply only with the 2018 application)
Wells Mountain Scholars Program For 2018
Before applying, the program strongly encourages you to read the WMI Scholars Program Information Flyer and also the Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Scholars document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Two essays (topics are stated on the application form)
- 2018 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret grades
How To Apply
If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, the program has supported more than 175 students worldwide. Please note that in recent years, the program has only been able to select approximately 3-6% of applicants to become a part of this program. The number is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As the organization grows, so will the scholarship program.
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to office.
APPLYING ONLINE: You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. It is strongly suggested that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
File format types accepted are JPG, PNG, GIF, DOC, DOCX, PDF (version 10 or newer). WARNING: Documents saved as a PDF file in Adobe versions 9 and older will appear blank and your application will be considered incomplete. Please only use Adobe version 10 or newer when providing a PDF.
The program encourages all applicants to remember that acceptance in the WMI Scholars Program requires a dedicated interest in community service, improving your nation, and working within your country after graduation.
No matter what you may be told there are NO FEES required to submit a Scholars Program application to the Wells Mountain Initiative! You only need to submit a complete application through the website.
The scholarship supports:
- Tuition and fees
- Books and materials
- Other related costs
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.