The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi, Kenya, and TWAS offer three fellowships per year to young scientists from developing countries (other than Kenya) who wish to undertake their PhD studies in Kenya.
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in a developing country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 12 months.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship is granted for a period of up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD at any university in a developing country.
- For a complete overview of eligible research interests please visit the icipe website: www.icipe.org. Go to RESEARCH and then drill down through the various research areas to see the individual projects. If you are interested in learning more about a research project for a potential ICIPE-TWAS Fellowship, please contact the Lilian Igweta, icipe Training Officer (see contact details below) who will put you in touch with the relevant scientist.
- The programme envisages only one journey to the host country.
- Icipe will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
- The language of instruction for foreign scholars in icipe is English.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September of each year.
- For sandwich fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country), applicants must ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the 'Registration and No Objection Certificate' on institutional headed paper to TWAS.
- Registration at a university in Kenya is not the same as preliminary acceptance from ICIPE. To be eligible you must have a preliminary acceptance letter from ICIPE.
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from the chosen department/lab at ICIPE (ONLY) to TWAS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS andicipe. The subject line must contain ICIPE/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants to the TWAS-icipe Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS only.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS are mutually exclusive.