Eligible candidates will meet the following criteria:
- Must be a citizen of a developing country as defined by the World Bank
- Must have either an MD or PhD or equivalent professional degree
- Graduate students in scientific areas with an interest in entering basic vision research or residents in ophthalmology who are interested in academic careers as clinician-scientists are also eligible.
- Must have a desire to pursue a career in teaching and research in vision and ophthalmology, whether clinical or basic, in their home countries
- Cannot be studying or training outside of his/her home country at the time of his/her recommendation for the award; the candidate must be established in his/her home country and currently employed or practicing in a field related to eye and vision research
Field of Interest
- Can be interested in any area of eye and vision research, whether basic or clinical research, epidemiology, public health, infectious diseases, genetics or a particular subspecialty
Level of Research Expertise
The goal of the DCERF program is to strengthen the research capacity of recipients' countries by bringing back information from the Annual Meeting.
Costs and Reimbursement
- Airfare: Recipients will coordinate the purchase of their airfare directly with ARVO’s travel agent. ARVO will support the cost of one round-trip economy class ticket from the recipient’s origin to the Annual Meeting city plus the cost of one checked bag.
- Hotel: Hotel rooms will be coordinated directly by ARVO in the ARVO room block. This amount will be deducted from the total award.
- Per Diem: Recipients will receive a per diem of $70 per day for each day of the Annual Meeting (maximum of 6 days).
- Annual Membership: One year of complimentary ARVO membership is provided
- Annual Meeting Registration: Complimentary membership to the ARVO Annual Meeting is provided.
- Special events: Recipients are provided complimentary tickets to select social events at the ARVO Annual Meeting.
Reimbursement: If additional funds remain from the maximum award amount of $4,500 after all of the above listed costs have been accounted for, recipients may seek reimbursement after the Annual Meeting for the following:
- Visa costs, including direct visa costs and travel to/from the consulate
- Ground transportation to/from the airport to attend the Annual Meeting
Please contact Amanda Johnson, Foundation Manager, at email@example.com with questions or for more information.
For more information click "Further official information" below.