The International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) — comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular and Drug Research invites offer fellowships to young scientists.
- APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTAL- PLEASE USE THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO START YOUR APPLICATION.
- OPENING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 2 May 2018
- CLOSING DATE OF THIS FELLOWSHIP: 31 August 2018
- Applicants can apply for preliminary acceptance letters from their chosen host institutes under the chosen fellowship programme well before the opening date of the call.
Preliminary acceptance letters dated 2017 or earlier will NOT be accepted as they must be dated the same year as the year of application.
- TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) – comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research – for a period of up to four years for studies leading to a PhD degree in the following fields: organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology, physical chemistry or analytical chemistry.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at ICCBS (FULL-TIME option).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided with ICCBS. Under the sandwich option, TWAS covers only one return journey to the host country.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those willing to register for a PhD in Pakistan):
- The Fellowship is granted for maximum 4 years. If awarded the Fellowship, full-time candidates must sit a compulsory entrance examination in the first quarter of the year at the University of Karachi, prior to starting their Fellowship (however, the ICCBS Karachi University websites should be visited for updates). Upon passing the entry exam, awardees will register at the University of Karachi and ICCBS.
- With a view to sitting the entrance examination at the University of Karachi, awardees are requested to apply for a six-month visa at their nearest Pakistan embassy. After getting PhD admission, awardees are required to go back to their home country for obtaining a long-term study visa (up to 4 years).
- Neither TWAS nor ICCBS will support awardees’ travel expenditures to travel to Pakistan to sit the entry exam. Travel support is provided by TWAS after awardees have successfully passed the entry exam and are ready to travel back to Pakistan for the actual start of the Fellowship. TWAS covers only one return journey to the host country, upon receipt of a copy of the long-term study visa.
- ICCBS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- If awarded, applicants must sit a compulsory entrance examination in the first quarter of the year prior to starting their Fellowship (however, the ICCBS website should be visited for updates). For the entrance examination, candidates can enter Pakistan on a visitor's visa. Upon successful completion of the entrance examination, candidates will immediately begin their research programme and the necessary requirements for a study visa will be implemented while at the host institution. Local hospitality for candidates travelling to Pakistan for the entrance examination will be provided by ICCBS.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the year of application,
- hold a Master's degree in a field of natural sciences;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- for SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the "Registration and No Objection Certificate" from the HOME university (see sample on page 6) OR
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at the University of Karachi (Pakistan);
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from the supervisor or head of department at ICCBS. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline and two reference letters;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Submitting your application
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.