EIFL PUBLIC LIBRARY INNOVATION AWARD 8: INNOVATIVE PUBLIC LIBRARIES CONTRIBUTING TO LITERACY
ATTENTION INNOVATIVE PUBLIC AND COMMUNITY LIBRARIES!
Are you offering an innovative service that uses information and communication technology (ICT) to contribute to literacy in your community?
Tell us your story and enter a competition to win US$1,500!
The award for Public libraries contributing to literacy is the eighth call in our exciting innovation awards programme for public libraries in developing and transition economy countries.
WHAT DO WE MEAN BY LITERACY?
We define literacy as the ability to read and write, and to communicate in official languages (languages used by government and the administration) that enable full participation in society.
With this call, we are seeking excellent examples of library services that use digital technology:
- To teach non-literate people how to read and write, and / or
- To improve people’s existing literacy levels.
The services can target people of any age and gender (including children, youth, adults or seniors) who have literacy needs.
Here are some examples of innovative ICT-based approaches to teaching literacy:
- Creating locally relevant content to teach literacy skills and encourage reading in the community;
- Offering technology-based services that teach immigrants to read, write and understand the official languages they need in order to integrate into society;
- Providing access to online literacy lessons and guiding learners to use them;
- Using the internet, online multimedia applications, online communications tools, or mobile technology to advance literacy skills;
- Building capacity of school teachers and tutors to use digital technology in their literacy classes;
- Using ICT in family literacy sessions, in which children and parents learn literacy skills together.
WHEN CAN YOU ENTER?
This call is open from 12 August 2015. The deadline for applications is 12 October 2015.
WHAT WILL YOU WIN?
- Each winner will receive US$1,500; and
- International publicity – EIFL-PLIP will share your story widely through its publicity channels.
NUMBER OF AWARDS
There will be more than one award – the number of award-winners will depend on the quality and diversity of applications received.