Cardiff University Master's Excellence Scholarships
We are committed to invest up to a total of £500,000 in this high value competitive scholarship scheme to support UK and EU students who are planning to start an eligible master's programme in September 2016.
The scholarships are each worth a minimum of £3,000 and will be awarded in the form of a tuition fee discount.
Scholarships will be awarded based on academic excellence.
“This scholarship package will give high-calibre students the opportunity to study at a world-leading, research-intensive university and help ease the associated financial burdens.”
Professor Colin Riordan, Vice-Chancellor
How to apply
We have two deadlines after which scholarship decisions will be made:
6 April and 27 July 2016.
For full details, please read our FAQ, eligibility criteria and application guidancedocuments.
Applications will open in January, and will be available through the SIMS Online Applicant Portal.
Value and programmes
Eligible programmes include taught full-time and part-time taught programmes leading to a master's. Not included are our distance learning programmes and taught programmes leading to a postgraduate certificate, postgraduate diploma, MPhil and MRes.
- You must be confirmed as a Home or EU Student for fee paying purposes (this information is contained in your offer letter).*
- Please note that only complete full-time and part-time postgraduate taught programmes that lead to a master’s degree are included within the Cardiff University Master’s Excellence Scholarships scheme. The following are not included:
Only the master’s stage of a programme
Any distance learning programme leading to a master’s
All Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma courses.
- To be considered for a Scholarship, applicants must complete all sections of the application form with the supporting statement as directed. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
- There are two deadlines where applications are considered: 6 April 2016 and 27 July 2016.
- You must return the completed scholarship application form by 13.00 (GMT) on the deadline. You also need to have submitted an application to study for an eligible programme by the same deadline. **
- Applications received after the first deadline will not be considered until after the second deadline. Applications received after the second deadline will not be considered.
- Please note that the number of Scholarships remaining for the second deadline is dependent on the quality and quantity of applications received at the first deadline. Some or all Colleges may award all of their available scholarships following the first deadline.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to those having received and firmly accepted an unconditional offer by 17.00 (GMT) on the 19th August. Applications where the status is not unconditional after this time will not be considered.
- Scholarships need to be accepted within a week of formal notification. Scholarships not accepted will be reallocated.
- Scholarships are to be used for entry in academic year 2016/7 only and cannot be used for 2017/8 entry or beyond. If you are awarded a scholarship and wish to defer your entry to the University, you will lose your scholarship and will need to re-apply again in the following year. It can also not be used by those already on a postgraduate programme.
- These scholarships are only available to self-funded students. If you are in receipt of full funding (consisting of either tuition fees or tuition fees and living costs) from a sponsorship body (such as your home country’s Government, charity or a private organisation) you are not eligible.
- If you withdraw/are required to withdraw from studies before completing your degree, or do not complete your degree from Cardiff University, you will be responsible for repaying all or part of the monies received from the Master’s Excellence Scholarship award on a pro-rata basis.
- For full-time programmes, the Scholarships are only available for the first year of study. If you are studying a full-time programme which lasts longer than one year you will not receive funding for additional years from this Scholarship scheme or its successor.
- If you are not sure about your eligibility for these scholarships or have any queries, please email the Postgraduate Recruitment Office for advice at email@example.com
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: