Special Research Fund - Doctoral Scholarships for Candidates from Developing Countries
With support from its “Special Research Fund” (BOF), Ghent University grants PhD scholarships to promising PhD students from developing countries who wish to carry out half of their PhD research at Ghent University and half in a university in a developing country.
Applying for a PhD scholarship & PhD admission at Ghent university
Prior to their scholarship application all applicants need the explicit commitment of a Ghent University professor who will act as their personal PhD supervisor.
If you need to approach a Ghent university professor please browse the list of faculties and research topics available on our research directory.
All international PhD candidates need to complete an admission procedure during which the academic aspects (equivalence of your degree, research proposal, and language skills) will be evaluated. This admission for a doctoral study does not guarantee any funding so it can be started after the result of the scholarship application is known.
Duration and start date of the scholarship:
- The earliest starting date of the scholarship at Ghent University is 1 October 2020;
- The candidate obtains a scholarship for 24 months to study at Ghent university (Nord);
- 24 months of the PhD research/study must be cofinanced at the partner university in the South;
- Students are obliged to divide the Ghent University scholarship into minimum 2 different research stays in Ghent (North) and need to return at least once to their home university (South) in between (= ‘sandwich- schedule’);
- The following mobility scheme is mandatory:
- Students need to start and end with a research stay of minimum 3 up to maximum 12 months in Ghent.
- The first research stay in Ghent needs to start between 1 October 2020 and 28 February 2021.
- At least 24 months of locally funded research stay in the South must be scheduled in between the first and last research stay in Ghent.
The average duration of PhD studies in Belgium (Ghent University) is 4 years.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: