Caucasus at the Crossroads: Challenges to Regional Stability
The Faculty of Social Sciences of International Black Sea University in cooperation with the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University annually organizes student conference “Caucasus at the Crossroads: Challenges to Regional Stability”, which takes place in Tbilisi, Georgia. The topic of the conference is extremely comprehensive and focuses on variety of issues from regional security to economic development and human rights. Therefore, it brings motivated students to participate in the conference and encourages to discuss the regional stability from different perspectives. The participants will have the opportunity to introduce works about the issues which is related with the challenges in Caucasus region and influences on it.
The goal of the event is to increase the knowledge of young people from various fields bringing potential leaders and researchers together in order to contribute to the dialogue on regional stability in the Caucasus.
The conference includes the following sections:
- International Relations,
- Public Administration,
- Political Science,
- Interdisciplinary section.
Junior and Senior-year students of BA Programme, as well as MA students from the universities accredited in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia can participate.
The organizing committee is pleased to announce VI Joint Student Conference “Caucasus at the Crossroads: Challenges to Regional Stability”, which will take place on May 5, 2018 in Tbilisi, Georgia, International Black Sea University.
Working languages of the conference:
Academic Commission which consists of the experienced field specialists will choose the best work from each of the sections author(s) of which will be awarded with 100GEL present card from the Faculty of Social Sciences, IBSU. The best works will be published. The bers authors from the Public Administration session will be awarded with the different literature from the Public Administration and State Governance BA Program administration.
Each paper presenter will receive the certificate of participation.
There is no participation fee.
Applicants are encouraged to explore following topics in local as well as comparative perspectives:
- Economic reforms, policies and business development in the Caucasus Region
- South Caucasus economic integration with the European Union;
- The devaluation of national currencies, economic challenges in the Caucasus Region;
- Economic perspectives of the Caucuses Region as a transit hub between East and West;
- Perspectives and challenges of sustainable economic growth in the Caucasus Region;
- Unemployment and labor mobility within the region.
- The Caucasus: Challenges to regional security
- “Frozen Conflicts” of the Caucasus Region – challenges and resolution agenda;
- Threat of terrorism to the regional stability in the Caucasus;
- Caucasus and the European integration;
- Presence of international organizations in the Caucasus;
- Small states in international relations;
- South Caucasus Neighborhood Policy.
Public Administration & Political Science
- Public sector reforms across the Caucasus: best practices and challenges;
- Open Government Partnership in the Caucasus (Improving Public Services, Increasing Public Integrity, More Effectively Managing Public Resources, Creating Safer Communities);
- Civic Engagement in Public Policy-making in the Caucasus region;
- Political system: general trends of development the presidential and parliamentary governance;
- Party politics: nature of political parties and party systems;
- Democratization and authoritarianism: challenges for democracy and authoritarianism empowering tendencies;
- Election systems, behavior of electorate and political communication;
- Political culture, political involvement, activism and social movements.
- Freedom of expression and challenges to regional media;
- Media ethics in the region;
- Information challenges related to the EU integration in Georgian Media.
- General trends of sustainable development in the Caucasus Region;
- Gender issues in the Caucasus Region;
- Migration process in and out of the Caucasus Region;
- Family and Marriage;
- Deviation and the crime;
- Education and the challenges related with it in the Caucasus Region;
- Conflicts and their resolution;
- Cultural Transformation in South Caucasus.
Applicants willing to participate in the conference are invited to submit their abstracts in Georgian or in English complying with the following requirements:
- The abstracts should include maximum 4 key words, problem statement/description, methodology and theoretical discussion about the issue;
- The volume of the abstract should be minimum 550 words and not exceed 600 words;
- To be submitted in MS Word format (Times New Roman, Sylfaen, font size 12, space – 1.5, margins to be 1 on all sides);
Please, download the template from website to send the abstracts.
After the conference the participants will be asked to submit their final papers as an article. The papers failing to meet the following requirements will be automatically rejected:
- Should be minimum 2000 words and not exceed 3500 words, not including tables and references;
- MS Word, (Times New Roman, Sylfaen, font size 12, space – 1.5, margins to be 1 on all sides);
- All papers are also expected to include: Paper title, Author(s)’ name, surname, University, Study Program and cycle; Abstract, key words, introduction, methodology, literature review, findings and the list of references.
As selected, participants of the conference are expected to defend their works and share their findings with the committee. In case of participant’s wish s/he delivers a PowerPoint presentation.
- 15 minutes in total will be devoted to each participant;
- Max. 10 min presentation (no extra time will be provided);
- The presentation will be followed by 5 min Q&A session.
- In case of necessity candidates will be asked to prepare and submit a presentation prior to the conference.
Applicants willing to participate in the conference are asked:
- Submit an abstract by March 11, 2018 23:55 local time to the following E-mail: Caucasus@ibsu.edu.ge
Late applications will not be considered!
- If selected, submit a final paper to the organizing committee by April 27, 2018 15:00 local time;
Late submissions will not be assessed and author will not be allowed to present the paper!
- In case of necessity submit a presentation by May 3, 2018 15:00 local time.
Applicants with disabilities should contact us in advance and request special assistance if needed.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.