About the scholarships
In order to further develop the education of international students and attract more outstanding international students to study in Shanghai, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission has founded the “Shanghai Government Scholarship for International Students” (hereinafter referred to Scholarship）. It is established to fund excellent international students to pursue bachelor’s degree or above at higher educational institutions (hereinafter referred to as HEIs in Shanghai.
CATEGORIES OF APPLICANTS AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP- Excellent international students who pursue master’s or doctoral degrees at HEIs in Shanghai.
CRITERIA & ELIGIBILITY
- Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens and be in good health.
- Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for master’s degree programs must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Applicants should have good academic performance.
- Applicants should not be awardees of other Chinese government scholarships at the same time.
Applicants shall apply directly to the HEIs in Shanghai once an academic year. Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements could apply continuously.
Applications are accepted from January. For the specific application deadlines, applicants should consult the relevant HEIs.
The applicants must fill in and submit the following documents truly, correctly and completely:
- Class B scholarship application form: The form should be duplicated in either Chinese or English.
- Highest diploma （notarized photocopy）: Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Academic transcripts: Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- A study or research plan in Chinese or in English （1,000 words or above） shall be submitted.
- Recommendation letters: Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors in the HEIs they graduated from.
- Applicants for music and art are requested to submit the applicants’ own works according to the specific requirements from the HEIs.
- Please note that application documents will NOT be returned.
HEIs and specialties:
All the HEIs and specialties that are qualified to accept international scholarship students certified by China Scholarship Council are entrusted to educate students under Shanghai Government Scholarship programs. For details please check the Guide to Study in Shanghai on the website of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission
For more information click "Further official information" below.