Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships
The GHI awards short-term fellowships to European and North American doctoral students as well as postdoctoral scholars to pursue research projects that draw upon primary sources located in the United States.
We are particularly interested in research projects that fit into the following fields:
- German and European history
- The history of German-American relations
- The role of Germany and the USA in international relations
- American history (European doctoral and postdoctoral scholars only)
The proposed research projects should make use of historical methods and engage with the relevant historiography. We especially invite applications from doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars who currently have no funding from their home institutions. The fellowships are usually granted for periods of one to five months but, in exceptional cases and depending on the availability of funds, they can be extended by one month.
The GHI will not provide funding for preliminary research, manuscript composition, or the revision of manuscripts. It will give clear priority to those postdoc projects that are designed for the "second book." The fellowship is open to both doctoral and postdoctoral scholars based in North America and Europe. The monthly stipend is € 2,000 for doctoral students and € 3,400 for postdoctoral scholars. In addition, fellowship recipients based in Europe will receive reimbursement for their round-trip airfare to the U.S.
The GHI has two deadlines each year for the fellowships: April 1 and October 1. The next deadlinefor applications is April 1, 2019.
- Applicants should be based at (or recent graduates of) a North American or European university or research institute.
- For doctoral students applying, ABD status is required before starting the fellowship.
- For postdoctoral scholars applying, the preference is for projects that are designed for the "second book" (Habilitation or equivalent).
- The proposed project should require primary research in the United States.
To apply please send the following materials (as a pdf) to email@example.com:
- Application form
- A brief cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A copy of your most recent diploma or transcripts
- Project description (no more than 2,000 words)
- Research schedule for the fellowship
- At least one letter of reference (sent separately)
Please combine all of your application materials except for the application form into a single PDF and include a word count at the end of your project description. Applicants may write in either English or German; we recommend that they use the language in which they are most proficient. Applicants will be notified about the outcome approximately two months after the deadline.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: