The ACSS is pleased to announce the launch of the second cycle of its Postdoctoral Fellowships Program for junior Arab scholars.
This 9-month Fellowship program aims at enabling young researchers, up to three years out of the PhD, to pursue their research and publishing plans, become part of Arab research networks and plan a research career in the Arab region.
This initiative complements the efforts of the ACSS in supporting and promoting the social sciences in the Arab region, particularly in terms of investing in a new generation of social science researchers.
Required Documents at the time of Application:
Applicants are required to fill out the online form and provide the following supporting documents:
- A detailed CV;
- A one page cover letter
- A proof of nationality or residence in the Arab region;
- A project proposal (10-15 pages): detailing the activities that the Fellow intends to undertake during their Fellowship period.
- A letter from a mentor based in an academic institution in the region who expresses his/her willingness to supervise and mentor the applicant during his/her proposed Fellowship period.
- A detailed CV of the proposed mentor.
The Fellowship program aims at targeting scholars in the social sciences, particularly in the fields of political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, education, demography, media and cultural studies, among others. For this cycle of the program, the thematic focus is open.
The ACSS generally employs a broad definition of the social sciences that includes the core social sciences such as anthropology, demography, economics, political science, psychology sociology. This is in addition to “allied disciplines” such as art, architecture, geography, history, law, literature, linguistics, philosophy and public health and interdisciplinary fields such as gender studies, cultural studies, media studies, development studies and urban studies.
TERMS OF THE FELLOWSHIP
- The Fellowships will provide for 9 months of full support (living expenses plus research expenses) with a total stipend of an average of $32,000. This amount may largely depend on the respective price levels in the proposed country/countries of residence where the Fellow will be residing during his/her Fellowship as well as whether or not the Fellow will be having other sources of income throughout the Fellowship period. If shortlisted, applicants will be asked to provide a budget estimating (1) the costs of living, (2) the costs of research; and (3) to indicate whether or not they will be having any other sources of funding and/or income during the period of their Fellowship.
- Travel funding at an average of $900 for each Fellow will also be provided for those seeking affiliation with an institution outside their home country or country of residence.
- Additional funding at an average of $5000 per Fellow will be available for a second phase (up to 9 months) based on a proposal in which the Fellow requests to extend his/her work in new directions.
- The Fellow will be expected to attend at least two events (i.e. workshops, research forum and/or conference) organized by the ACSS during the term of the Fellowship and to present their work to their peers and to senior scholars. Expenses of participation in such events will be covered separately by the ACSS. In addition, each Fellow will be requested to contribute an abstract of their project for the ACSS website, and one working paper to appear as a prepublication in the ACSS Working Paper Series. (Please see the submission guidelines for the Working Papers.)
Applicants are advised to consult the Application Form Guide and the Frequently Asked Questions on the official website prior to submitting their application. Applicants are also advised to use the Postdoc Checklist from the website to make sure they've provided all the required information and documents to complete their application.