PhD scholarships for Study at International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD1) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe (www.icipe.org) is an international scientific research institute, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that works towards improving lives and livelihoods of people in Africa. The centre’s primary objective is to research and develop alternative and environmentally-friendly pest and vector management strategies that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and which are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe's mandate extends to the conservation and use of the abundant insect biodiversity found in Africa. icipe is the only international centre in sub-Saharan Africa working primarily on arthropods. icipe works in a holistic and integrated approach through a 4-H paradigm - Human, Animal, Plant and Environmental Health - with the aim of improving the overall health of communities in tropical Africa by addressing the interlinked problems of poverty, poor health, low agricultural productivity and degradation of the environment.
The primary objective of ARPPIS is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in an internationally competitive research environment within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe, ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, and scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct their innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and at field sites located in various agro-ecological zones.
- Twelve ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries.
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will carry out their research in selected projects at icipe.
- Twelve Eligible PhD Projects are available. For more information go to: http://scholarships.icipe.org/application/documents/phd_projects.pdf
- Successful candidates will develop a full proposal and register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after they start the PhD programme at icipe.
- The ARPPIS PhD programme will commence in September 2016.
- A national of a country in sub-Sahara Africa.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project.
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2016.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the Eligible PhD Project(s)selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project go to: http://scholarships.icipe.org/application/documents/phd_projects.pdf
- A working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents.
Full instructions and online application: http://scholarships.icipe.org/application/
Deadline for applications: 22nd March 2016
In case of any questions regarding the ARPPIS PhD programme or your application, kindly contact: Ms. Lilian Igweta, Training Officer, Capacity Building and Institutional Development Programme, icipe, email@example.com, Tel: +254 20 863 2272
We look forward to receiving your application.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: