The aim of the prestigious EACL Spring/Summer Schools in Chinese Linguistics is to provide an opportunity for MA and PhD-students affiliated to European universities to be exposed to areas in Chinese linguistics to which they are not exposed in their home institution; and to make them aware of the expertise in Chinese linguistics present in Europe. The courses are held by eminent experts of Chinese Linguistics in Europe.
When: Sept. 9-14, 2019
Where: “L’Orientale” University of Naples”, Department of Asia, Africa and Mediterraneum, Palazzo Corigliano, Piazza S. Domenico Maggiore 12, Naples, Italy
Which courses will be offered?
1. Waltraud Paul: Facts and fallacies in the syntax of Mandarin Chinese 2. Giorgio Arcodia: Sinitic Morphology 3. Christoph Anderl: Dunhuang texts and the study of Vernacular Chinese 4. Luisa Paternicò: Sources and Methodology for Chinese history of linguistics and historical linguistics (Mandarin and Cantonese)
In addition to these courses, two lectures on general linguistics will be given by two local general linguists. The participants are expected to attend all the seminars and lectures.
Who can apply?
The EACL Spring School in Chinese Linguistics is organized for a maximum of 15 M.A. and Ph.D. students in Chinese linguistics affiliated to European universities. Applications that do not fit into these criteria (e.g. postdocs, young academics, students of non-European universities) may be considered if limitations allow.
How much is it?
• An attendance fee of €80 will be charged.
• Accommodation in hotel (double room) is included in the attendance fee.
• Travel expenses, local transportation and meals are covered by participants.
• All participants, except for M.A. students, are required to be EACL members, or join the Association at the time of registration. Membership fee for students is €15 (see the EACL website for further details).
• A closing dinner will be offered by the organizers
How can the payment of fees be processed?
Membership fees and attendance fees should preferably be paid by money order or bank transfer; they can exceptionally be paid in cash at the on-site registration for the Summer School.
(1) Good command of spoken and written Chinese and English. (2) Proven interest in Chinese linguistics
How to apply
Applications for Ph.D. students and MA students and questions should be sent to Luisa Paternicò: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “EACL Summerschool 2019”. Please attach a PDF file including personal information (name, surname, date of birth, Identity Card or Passport number, affiliation, short bio). Use the candidate's name as the filename for the PDF. The EACL board deals with the applications and the selection process. The board of the EACL functions as admission committee.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: