Nordic Africa Institute Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme
This scholarship programme is directed at scholars
- in Africa, engaged in research on the African continent
- in Sweden, Finland and Iceland, engaged in Africa oriented research.
The purpose of the programme
The purpose of the Guest Researchers' Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for scholars in Africa to pursue their own research projects, thereby indirectly strengthening the academic milieux in African countries, and to provide opportunities for scholars in Sweden, Finland and Iceland to pursue their own research projects. The programme offers scholars access to the Institute's library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the Programme, the Nordic Africa Institute can establish and maintain relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
Who can apply?
The Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is directed at scholars
- in Africa engaged in research on/about the African continent and with a proven track record of extensive research experience. The applicant should be placed at or affiliated with an African university or other African research institution.
- in Sweden, Finland and Iceland engaged in research on/about the African continent and with a proven track record of extensive research experience. The applicant should be placed at or affiliated with an university or other research institution in Sweden, Finland or Iceland.
The application should contain
- a completed application form
- an up-to-date curriculum vitæ
- a short abstract of the research project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute
- a well elaborated research proposal outlining the main features of the research topic. The proposal should focus on the project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute and include the expected results. Length of the proposal: 5 pages
- copies of and/or references to the applicant’s publications; the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued at the Nordic Africa Institute
- a signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Kindly also note that the application must be in English. In the extraordinary event that the Scholarship Programme for 2017 does not receive full funding, applicants will be informed immediately.
Submission of applications
Applications can be sent by post/airmail or by email. Applications sent by post/airmail should contain 2 copies of each document. Applications sent by email should contain only 1 copy of each document.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.
Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Marie Karlsson, Research Administrator, email: email@example.com
Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “Application: Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme". Scanned versions of signed support letters can also be sent to the above email address.
Marie Karlsson, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +46 18 471 52 47.