The degree programme is taught entirely in English (120 ECTS) and offers interdisciplinary, in-depth knowledge of post-socialist countries in transition, new EU member states, and new East-European neighbor countries. MIREES is suited for students with a BA in Economics, Politics, International Relations, History, Languages, agricultural studies and cultural studies in general as well as for prospective PhD students. Students develop language skills by learning one Eastern European language (3 levels of Russian, Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian, Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Slovak; Hungarian is available in the second year).
Enrolled students spend the first year in Forlì Campus, University of Bologna. In the second year a minimum of 5 months will be spent at one of the Partner Universities or, in particular cases, at other Mirees associated Universities (Universities of Zagreb and Ljubljana, Bogazici in Istanbul and ADA in Baku). Mobility grant is offered to all enrolled students, thanks to Erasmus + or the MIREES mobility scheme.
For admission to the Master of Arts in "Interdisciplinary Research and Studies on Eastern Europe" students must have:
- a First Cycle Degree (see call for applications for the details on the accepted qualifications);
- a knowledge of English at minimum of B2 Level, according the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (TOEFL computer-based of at least 213 points or TOEFL paper-based of at least 550 points or TOEFL Internet-based of at least 79 points; IELTS of at least 6.0 points; FCE – B; a B2 level certificate in English released by a University Language Centre). This attestation is not requested to English mother-tongue speakers and to candidates who obtained a first-cycle degree in a anglo-saxon Universities;
- a suitable personal preparation, assessed on the basis of the documents submitted by the candidates
- basic IT skills.
Two evaluation sessions are scheduled:
- the first evaluation session, with deadline 13 May 2016 for applying and submitting documents, open to all candidates (EU students and non-EU students with equivalent status; non-EU students residing abroad);
- the second evaluation session, with deadline September 15 September 2016 for applying and submitting documents, normally for EU students and non-EU students with equivalent status. Non EU candidates are allowed to apply for the second evaluation session provided that they have complied with the pre-enrolment procedure at the Italian Embassy and in case there will be available places for non-EU candidates after the first evaluation session.
The assessment of a suitable personal preparation is carried out by a joint international Examining Board on the basis of the documents submitted by the candidates:
- Application form (downloadable from Studentionline) and motivation letter
- Provisional study plan (form downloadable from Studentionline)
- Graduation certificate with a list of exams passed
- 2 reference letters
- English certificate of B2 level among IELTS, TOEFL, FCE, a certificate issued by a University Language Centre
Detailed information is reported in the call for application 2016/2017, under the section "Attachments".
Scholarships and benefits
- The Master’s Degree in Interdisciplinary Research and Studies on Eastern Europe (MIREES) will assign n. 5 full fee waivers of 4.000 euro each to international students who enrol in the 1st year of the academic year 2016/2017 in the May intake (deadline 13 May). The criteria and method of assignment are detailed in the call Unibo Action 1 available in the section "See also".
- The Regional Authority for the Right to Education (Ergo) and the University of Bologna offer study grants and partial or total tuition fee reductions assigned on the basis of the personal income and the academic performance. Information on the application procedure and deadlines of Ergo benefits (the call, available also in English, is expected to be published in July 2016).
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: