Invitations are extended to junior scholars who are, at the least, enrolled in a doctoral degree program to apply to the HIF Fellowship Program to carry out non-degree research programs at Hosei University under the direction of and/or in cooperation with Hosei faculty and researchers. It is expected that joint cooperation and coordination with Hosei faculty will contribute much to the development of the university’s research capabilities.
Qualifications / Eligibility
- be a foreign national (includes being a stateless person, or a foreign national currently residing in Japan)
- be enrolled in a doctoral degree program or have obtained a Doctorate no more than 8 years ago as of April 1, 2023, or its equivalent as recognized by the University. In this case, "no more than 8 years” after obtaining Doctorate does not include periods of applicant's childcare leave, etc. (maternity and childcare leave)
- have sufficient fluency in either Japanese or English
- not have been a previous recipient of this fellowship
- not be currently enrolled in Hosei University.
Research areas include those studies in the humanities, social or natural sciences, or engineering as deemed acceptable by Hosei. Please refer to page 10 for information concerning faculties, graduate school departments, research institutes.
*Note1: Positions are not available in medical or veterinary sciences, pharmacology, nursing, agriculture, marine sciences, home economics, fine arts.
*Note2:Any research involving the import/export of components and/or technology which could lead to creation, production and development of weapons of mass destruction is unacceptable in accordance with Japanese Government policy.
Fellowship Period։ 6 months
The academic year begins in April and ends in March; however, HIF Fellows can begin their research either in April or October of 2023.
Travel Grant and Other Perquisites
- An HIF Fellow can receive all or part of economy class transportation expenses for travel to and from Japan. The travel subsidy for round-trip travel is ¥300,000 maximum (or up to ¥150,000 for one way travel). To receive the inbound travel subsidy, the researcher must be living outside Japan; to receive the outbound subsidy a researcher must leave Japan within 30 days of completion of the research program.
- An HIF Fellow may receive assistance in his/her research from the research advisor, participate in lectures and seminars, and use other facilities of Hosei University.
- An HIF Fellow will be provided with shared office space, PC, and a Hosei University network ID
Hosei University will provide, upon request, a furnished apartment. However, the rent (approximately ¥100,000 per month) must be borne by the Fellow. (Note that rental expenses are subject to change)
- All statements made in the application must be true and correct in every detail; if found otherwise, the grant will be withdrawn.
- Grantees who are concurrently awarded a scholarship from any other institution or organization in Japan will have their HIF grants suspended or reduced according to the amount received from these outside sources.
- The Fellow may not engage in any paid activities for a Japanese or foreign institution, while receiving the HIF Fellowship
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.