Artist in Residence Programmes
Biofaction is seeking applications for new Artist in Residence programmes. Four artists will be invited to work for four to six weeks at various laboratories across Europe. The residencies will start in Fall 2020 and will conclude in May 2021. They will be held in two parts, and the exact dates will be set by taking both artist and laboratory schedules into account, and with an eye to the situation in each locale (e.g. travel, safety regulations etc.).
As an artist in residence, you will actively engage with scientists working on one of three Synthetic Biology related projects that delve into fascinating areas: plant molecular farming, new-to-nature reactions, and cell factories. We welcome applications from artists, designers, biohackers, musicians, or other cultural practitioners who want to carry out artistic work with biological media. The collaborating laboratories will make sure to provide space and personal interaction for mutual exchange with the artists. Biofaction is responsible for organising and curating the residencies. At the end of the residency programmes all works and/or their processes will be documented and compiled in form of a book, initiated by Biofaction and co-created together with the participating artists and scientists.
Our residency programmes seek:
- – to explore arts or alternative cultural practices interacting with Synthetic Biology, particularly in regard to visions, challenges, philosophical, aesthetic, and ethical aspects;
- – to add critical, unusual and comprehensive perspectives to Synthetic Biology, its societal ramifications and cultural aspects;
- – to investigate the potential long-term changes Synthetic Biology might bring to society.
To apply for a residency, please send us your contact details, CV, and your portfolio with related or comparable projects. Please indicate clearly which of the three projects you are applying for and include the project name in the subject line of your email. You can also provide us with a link to your online portfolio. If you prefer sending an online portfolio, please link specifically to related or similar projects.
We also ask for a motivation letter, explaining your work, you as an artist, and how your work fits to the themes of this open call. Please share with us the following in your letter as well:
- – Your motivation for submitting your work
- – Your perspectives on the objectives of this residency programme
- – The idea you want to explore in this residence. (While changes, unexpected surprises or focus shifts are only to be expected during the residency, we want to see a clear intention from the beginning.)
- – Anything else you find worth mentioning!
The call will be closed on 30 June 2020.
We highly recommend you read and research about the three EU projects and the collaborating laboratories before applying. We prepared an overview below but suggest following the links to each project and institution to get a better understanding. You can apply for more than one artist in residence programme; however, you will need to send separate applications for each.
We will contact the shortlisted artists and arrange telemeetings to get to know them and their work better. Final decisions will be made at the end of summer 2020, and the selected artists will be contacted via email as well as announced on our website.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.