The Women Scholarship for Peace: Global South is an initiative coordinated by the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations whose work contribute to disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues. A total of 140 scholarships are made available to facilitate participation of women from the Global South at the training courses.
What is the Women Scholarship for Peace?
- A Women Scholarship for Peace entails financial support for an early career woman from the Global South to take training courses about peace and development-related areas.
- A total of 140 scholarships are available, covering all costs of registration and participation at the training courses.
- Applications now open for: Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East (105 scholarships)
- Applications to be announced in 2017: Latin America and the Caribbean (35 scholarships)
How are the training courses organised?
The training courses are composed of:
- 1 month introductory on-line training (about 20 hours)
- 1 week in-person training (about 40 hours)
- 1 month advanced on-line training (about 20 hours)
- Optional: 1 final examination essay to obtain university credits (about 40 hours)
The on-line component includes: self-paced webinars with weekly sessions, reading material and exams, interaction with the instructor and the fellow students.
What do participants need to follow the training courses?
- a computer or mobile device, with audio
- reliable internet connection
- no special software is required
- travel to the in-person location for 5 working days to attend workshops and training sessions
What kind of certification will the participants receive?
Certificate of completion: all participants successfully completing the on-line and in-person training courses will receive an official certificate of completion from UPEACE.
Voluntary diploma: eligible participants who successfully pass the additional voluntary examination will receive an official diploma from UPEACE, carrying university credits.
When and where are the training courses scheduled?
|Middle-East||Africa||Asia/Pacific||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Number of scholarships available||30||40||35||35|
|Application period||1 August – 31 August 2016||To be announced
|Selection process||1 September – mid September 2016|
|1 October – 31 October 2016|
Sunday, 6 November
Tuesday, 15 November
Wednesday, 23 November
|Dates on-line advanced course||1 December – 31 December 2016|
|Location in-person course||Cairo, Egypt||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia||Bangkok, Thailand||San José, Costa-Rica|