National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarships
The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) has partnered with the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) to develop the African Pathways Programme through doctoral scholarships. The aim of the Programme is in line with the mandates of the Institute and Council to promote and facilitate research in the humanities and social sciences as well as to explore new vistas in pan-African scholarship.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified non-South African students to study full time towards a doctoral degree in the humanities and social sciences at South African public universities. The Call will be open to students whose research is focused on their country or a comparative study in the following broad themes:
- Pre and post-colonial states, institutions and local experiences.
- Histories and legacies of liberation struggles.
- Regional integration, new development and economic alternatives.
- International political economy and the role of African humanities.
- Heritage, identity and culture (including literature, performance, art and musicology).
Candidates should submit the following documentation for application:
- Online application form
- Letter of confirmation by the prospective department or supervisor that you will be admitted to the participating university for registration for PhD study.
- A motivation letter (not longer than one A4 page – 500 words).
- A recent intellectual autobiography: a narrative of the major influences in your intellectual life (not longer than one A4 page – 500 words).
- A research proposal outlining the problem statement, methodology, feasibility of your study and the contribution it will make to the body of knowledge in the particular field of study.
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript/s.
- A certified copy of your passport.
- Sample copies of your best writing, e.g. a chapter from your Master’s study or any published academic work.
- Two letters of recommendation from academics who are familiar with your work, of which one must be the supervisor of your Master’s thesis. Letters of recommendation can be uploaded by the relevant academic at the following link:http://www.nihss.ac.za/content/letter-recommendation