The Purpose Of The Summer School
The 4th international summer school “Learning from the past – Bosnia and Herzegovina 1995 – 2017: Lessons Not Learned” provides an opportunity to undergraduate students and graduate students as well as to emerging researchers and professionals to meet and study with people from different countries, cultures and academic disciplines, on a cosmopolitan campus in Sarajevo and in real post-conflict communities. Sadly, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and the Balkan region, in many regards remain in a post-war state, where there is a great need for healing from the past trauma, while the tensions that led to the 1990s war are largely undealt with, still affecting everyday life of the majority of the citizen of BiH.
Although there are many GOs and NGOs in and around BiH working towards advancing transitional justice and reconciliation, they hardly show any tangible or real-world outcomes. BiH and the Balkans are the largest living laboratory for this area. By learning about the past and current issues in BiH, this summer school also commemorates the events by remembering and discussing the past atrocities, and at the same time learning from and moving beyond the tragic events in the past in order to achieve lasting peace in the region. For this to be achieved, a range of teaching and learning approaches and strategies will be utilized - delivered in a form of lectures, class discussions, workshops, field visits and conferences - and focusing on comparative studies enabling the participants to learn in an experiential and cross-cultural context.
Furthermore, this summer school will provide an opportunity to filter previously generated knowledge in regard to conflict resolution and further advance methodological tools and techniques applicable to research in the field of genocide, transitional justice, post-conflict resolution, peace-building, security studies, preventing diplomacy, international law, sociology, anthropology and other associated fields. It will also promote an active involvement of participants in order to better understand each other's ethnic background and challenge existing stereotypes and myths about the ‘Other’.
The summer school will apply an integrative interdisciplinary perspective drawing upon a variety of disciplinary approaches inherent to existent methodological frameworks of social sciences. Its overall aim is to capitalize from the previous academic and professional work and research relating to dealing with the past, transitional justice and reconciliation in post-conflict societies.
Terms and Conditions
The International University of Sarajevo Summer Schools are a not-for-profit social enterprise with a goal to enable young people to fulfill their academic potential and make an active contribution to academia and civil society. Our relationship with the participants is incredibly important to us.
- Payment is required for each individual.
- Enrolment fee is due within seven days from receipt of the invoice from IUS, and must be provided before your place is guaranteed. Keep in mind that we have a limited number of places available.
Transfers and accommodation will not be confirmed until the fee has been paid in full. No participant will be allowed to take part in the program unless payment is received in full prior to course commencement.
- - Cancelation will be available until 14/05/2017. The fee will be refunded after a 20% cut-off.
- - For the guest participants (accompanying family member) such as spouse and child, extra registration fees must be paid.
- 0-2 age is free of charge,
- 3-6 ages pays 50 %
- 7-12 ages pays 70 %
- Some participants might require a student Visa or tourist Visa. Participants should contact their local embassy, Consulate or High Commission for additional information and entry requirements to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Arranging the correct Visa is the sole responsibility of the participant. No visa support documentation will be provided until all fees have been received.
- All participants are expected to attend all sessions.
- Participants should have their own health insurance coverage. The organizers do not provide health, or any other form, of insurance to students.
- Your privacy is very important to us. We will never pass on your details to third parties.