This course aims at introducing students to Brand Design Strategy, and Personal Construct Psychology Model (PCP Model) in the architectural design studio. Through interpreting the local societal inherent and brand images of the city of Venice, students will have the opportunity to explore the local environment and its heritage architecture. Students will be introduced to the PCP Model as a strategy to analyze and propose visual scenarios that integrate into the design process, the 'construct systems' of the inhabitants of Venice. Students will then engage in groups to explore and elicit their personal construct systems of the building's appearance using the Repertory Grid Technique (RGT).
Andrea Palladio can be seen as a brand design strategist of universal influence who shared his innovative products of classical images into an architectural brand that was relevant to the cultural contexts of his time and remains evolving to the present. Palladio successfully assembled the eclectic classical forms and elements from Ancient Rome as a unique brand image of his locality.
Through field trips to several Palladio's designed products in the region of Veneto and the heritage of the City of Venice, students 'make sense' of the architectural design process of brands in both theory and practice to generate culturally relevant and up-to-date forms.
FORMAT: 2 weeks in Venice (Virtual participation possible)
Students can participate virtually or on-site in Venice. We guarantee learning outcomes are met for both formats. Students who join the course virtually will receive online assignments and virtual interactions with lectures and sites.
Dr. Ahmed Agiel, Assistant Professor of Architectural Engineering at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU).
This course is for curious, ambitious minds that love architecture and art. Our participants come from all backgrounds and experiences. Artists, architects, designers and students are welcome to join.
1. Recognise the architectural brand of buildings and the evolution process as represented in the projects of Andrea Palladio.
2. Develop visual scenarios of architectural meanings and design concepts, to meet the local societal construct systems.
3. Work on a small-scale project to design an architectural brand based on locally selected visual scenarios as an ideal future image for the City of Venice.
4. Effectively communicate the analysis and concept of brand design, verbally, visually, graphically and technically.
5. Coordinate work in a group and individually to overcome differences of opinions, using the Repertory Grid Technique (RGT).
EUR 1650: tuition fee for 2 week studio
Although limited, partial scholarships are available.
For further information, please click the "LINK TO ORIGINAL" button below.