The Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
This is a scholarship program for privately-financed international students with excellent academic and character records who are enrolled in undergraduate schools, graduate schools, junior colleges, colleges of technology, specialized course in specialized training colleges, university preparatory courses or Japanese language institutes in Japan and are facing financial difficulties.
Applying for the 2020 Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
Total number of available scholarships
7,400 (Total of 12-month and 6-month scholarships)
Graduate/undergraduate level: 6,840
Japanese language institutes: 560
Graduate/undergraduate level: 48,000 yen per month
Japanese language institutes: 30,000 yen per month
12 months (From April in the academic year of selection to next March)
Method of application
Apply through the educational institution in which you are enrolled
*The number of students an educational institution can recommend depends on the number of international students enrolled in it. Please note that depending on your institutions, you may not be able to apply.
Selection schedule (2020)
- 1.Late March Notice of invitation of applications (JASSO to Institutions）
- 2.Mid-May Last date for recommendations (Institutions to JASSO）
- 3.Mid-June Notice of selection results (JASSO to Institutions）
- 4.Mid-July First transfer of scholarship (For April to June)
The candidate must have a student visa and must not be receiving the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship or any Foreign Government Scholarship.
Requirements for grant of scholarship
The candidate must fulfill the following conditions. They must also sign the enrollment confirmation register every month at the foreign students’ office in their educational institution.
- The candidate is either enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate school in Japan or has an undergraduate degree, at the least, and is enrolled as a research student at the graduate level.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper) or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an advanced course or preparatory Japanese language program in an undergraduate school, junior college or college of technology in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in a university preparatory course in an educational institution in Japan with the objective to enroll in a university.
- The candidate is enrolled in a Japanese language institute with the objective to advance to an undergraduate school, graduate school, junior college, college of technology or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- 1. The candidate must have a GPA of 2.30 or more at graduate or undergraduate level or the Japanese language institute in the academic year previous to the year for which the scholarship is granted in accordance with the method provided in the guideline below and maintain the same GPA during the scholarship period. In cases where the evaluation cannot be expressed in the form of GPA, the candidate’s evaluation result must be equivalent or higher at each of the mentioned levels.
- 2.The candidate must meet the condition, that necessary required condition of Japanese or English languages under written the Scholarship Guidelines.
- 3. After the scholarship is granted, the candidate must agree to cooperate in the career path survey conducted by JASSO through the educational institution in which the candidate is enrolled or other methods.
- 4. Allowance (excluding enrollment fee, tuition fee, etc.) received by the candidate must not exceed an average of 90,000 yen per month.
- 5. If the student has a financial supporter in Japan, his/her annual income must be less than 5 million yen.
- 6. The candidate must not be receiving a scholarship that cannot be combined with other scholarships.
- 7. The candidate must not be receiving support under JASSO’s international students support program.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.