The Izmir Mediterranean Academy branch of Izmir Metropolitan Municipality is preparing a symposium under the tile “The Mediterranean In Motion” to be held between the 16th and 18th of November 2017 in Izmir.
“The Mediterranean in Motion” symposium aims to discuss the questions of the Mediterranean through the lens of its endemic mobility and motion. It seeks to open up questions and debates on this subject in an interdisciplinary manner. In order to approach these questions from different angles, we invite contributions from humanities, art, architecture, design, anthropology, sociology, philosophy, geography, political science, literature, as well as other disciplines in conversation with them. The papers can be on- but not limited to- the following topics within the Mediterranean context:
- 1- People in motion: Migration, refugees, social and political movements, borders, and securitization of the Mediterranean;
- 2- Ideas in motion: War and art, language, culture, authoritarianism, populism, literature, justice, codification;
- 3- Design, architecture and art in motion: Art and artists; architectural perspectives, design from local handcrafts to industrial design;
- 4- Power and resistance in motion: Repertoire and future of control and discipline in the Mediterranean, camps, biopolitics, architecture, urban transformations, hidden cities and islands, identity of cities, urban movements, gentrification, city economies;
- 5- Environment in motion: Ecology, agriculture, land, sea, air, geography, environmental movements;
- 6- Capital and labor in motion: Global economy, national economies, financial mobility, capital mobility, free/unfree labor forms.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.