In order to enhance international cooperation and exchange, to promote the ocean development in the region and around the world, the State Oceanic Administration of China and the Ministry of Education of China have jointly set up the Chinese Government Marine Scholarship to support outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China in a mater's or doctoral program in oceanography or other related fields. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admission and routine management of the scholarship.
(1) The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific and its surrounding island country, or an African developing country.
(2) The applicant should apply for the postgraduate program of ocean-related specialties. Applicants will be given priority if they are engaged in the ocean-related field.
(3) Education background and age limit:
- Applicants for master's degree studies must have a bachelor's degree and be usually under the age of 40.
- Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have a master's degree and be usually under the age of 45.
XMU has an exceptional team for research and teaching on the oceanography and ocean-related disciplines, being the birthplace of ocean studies and teaching in China. The discipline of Marine Science at XMU is a first-class national key discipline. Its College of Ocean and Earth Science, College of Environment and Ecology, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute and South China Sea Institute have made achievements in the ocean-related scientific research and the cultivation of advanced professionals.
Duration of Scholarship
Category of applicant
Duration of study and scholarship
Master's degree students
Doctoral degree students
Scholarship awardees who choose Chinese as the medium of instruction and request Chinese language training prior to their academic studies will receive one-year training and have their scholarship extended for one year.
Scholarship Availability: A total of five.
- Exemption from tuition fees,
- Accommodation on campus or providing off-campus accommodation monetary subsidy (undergraduate students / master’s students: CNY 700 per month; doctoral students (senior scholars): CNY 1000 per month);
- Living allowance: RMB 3,000 per month for master's students, and RMB 3,500 per month for doctoral students;
- Comprehensive medical insurance;
- International travel expenses: to be paid by the student.
Application Time: Feb.1 – April 15, 2017
Applicants are eligible for scholarship assessment only after they are admitted to the master's or doctoral programme of Xiamen University. (Application guidelines for master’s programmes / doctoral programmes 2017 are available at our website, see "Further official information" link below this announcement)
- Applicants shall make online application (see "Further official information" link below this announcement) (Agency No. of Xiamen University at CSC: 10384) and download and print out the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship and then sign the form.
- Applicants are required to make another online application (see "Further official information" link below this announcement) and upload the required application documents. Please download and print out the Application Form for International Students generated upon successful online application.
- Submission of application documents:Send by post to XMU's Admissions Office the two forms and other required documents. Application documents should reach the Office before April 15, 2017. When mailing application documents from mainland China, EMS mailing service is highly recommended as to ensure timely and efficient delivery of your package. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792)
Applicants are expected to keep their phones open and check their email regularly as XMU's Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
Selection and Notification
Applicants will be given priority if they apply for postgraduate programs in oceanography or ocean-related fields, are engaged in ocean-related fields, or are recommended by senior professors or experts. Scholarship decisions will be made on the basis of the candidates' education background, work experience, academic performance, overall qualifications, and their supervisors' opinions. A list of scholarship nominees will be submitted to the State Oceanic Administration of China and China Scholarship Council for final approval. Final decisions for the scholarship will be made in Mid-July of 2017 and the results will be published on the website of the Admissions Office. Scholarship awardees will be notified via email and their Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) will be sent out as soon as possible.
Address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, P.R. China 361005
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792 2188375 Fax: +86 (0)592 218 0256
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: