BARBARA JELAVICH BOOK PRIZE
The Barbara Jelavich Book Prize, established in 1995 and sponsored by the Jelavich estate, is awarded annually for a distinguished monograph published on any aspect of Southeast European or Habsburg studies since 1600, or nineteenth- and twentieth-century Ottoman or Russian diplomatic history in the previous calendar year. The Jelavich Book Prize carries a cash award and is presented at the ASEEES Annual Convention.
Barbara Jelavich was a distinguished and internationally respected scholar whose numerous publications included Modern Austria, Russia's Balkan Entanglements, and the two-volume History of the Balkans. The Jelavich Prize was established in 1995 in her memory to recognize and to encourage the high standards she set in her many areas of scholarly interest and to promote continued study of those areas.
RULES OF ELIGIBILITY
Rules of eligibility for the Jelavich book prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous calendar year as the date of publication (for example, the book must have been published in 2015 to be eligible for the 2016 competition), and the book must have been published in the United States.
- The book must be a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Authors must be scholars who are citizens or permanent residents of North America.
- The competition is open to works on any aspect of Southeast European or Habsburg studies since 1600, or 19th- and 20th-century Ottoman or Russian diplomatic history.
- Textbooks, translations, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible.
Fill out and submit the form found on the official website to notify the Association of your intent to nominate a publication for ASEEES prizes.
Send one copy of eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses below) AND to the ASEEES main office (address in the footnote). Nominations must be received no later than April 15.
Submissions should be clearly marked “Barbara Jelavich Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASEEES main office a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope or a postcard. Please direct questions to Mary Arnstein (ASEEES Communications Coordinator) at email@example.com
2017 BARBARA JELAVICH BOOK PRIZE COMMITTEE
The winner of the Jelavich Book Prize will be chosen by the following scholars:
Paula Pickering, College of William & Mary, 2015-2017; Committee Chair
Paula M. Pickering, Associate Professor
College of William and Mary
Tyler Hall, Room 318
300 James Blair Dr.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Laurence Cole, U of Salzburg (Austria), 2016-2018
Prof. Laurence Cole
(for customs use):
412 648 9809
James Mark, U of Exeter (UK); 2017-2019
University of Exter EX4 4RJ
(for customs use):
412 648 9809
*The committee would happily accept PDF copies of books, which can be emailed to the members directly.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: