Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient the English or Japanese languages ability.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure, and should contribute to development of their own country.
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.
JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan.
Round-trip Air Transportation
Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefit is provided.
The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
Screening Process & Announcement of the Results
- Applications are evaluated by the MIF Screening Committee on the basis of academic value and degree of perfection of the research projects.
- The results will be announced on the MIF website in December 2022.
- The MIF will send a grant letter to successful applicants.
- It is the policy of the MIF to neither disclose the content of discussions by the Screening Committee nor accept inquiries about individual applications.
- The MIF will not comment on the reasons for the decisions made by the Screening Committee.
The following documents must be submitted as PDFs to the MIF via email.
All documents must be typed in English.
Inadequate documents will not be accepted.
The following will be automatically rejected without notice.
- Emails over 10 MB in size.
- Emails with attachments with file extensions other than “pdf.”
- Emails with attachments in any compressed format such as “zip” or “rar.”
- Emails including any program files or downloadable links.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.