The University of St Andrews is steeped in tradition and known for its global outlook, ranked first in the UK by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide in 2022. This new Global Summer School gives undergraduate students from around the world the opportunity to explore different disciplines and earn academic credit.
Choose two accredited courses (i.e. modules) from our unique programme to expand your academic horizons and take home up to 10 ECTS/6 US credits total.
The modules are designed by our expert academics to introduce you to new academic perspectives, approaches and skills, so no prior subject knowledge is required. As a bonus, you also have the option to complete the University of St Andrews Professional Skills Award, endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management. Our programme of excursions will immerse you in the cultural heritage of the local area and landscapes.
What this module is about:
The ancient Mediterranean world continue to fascinate us today. Not only do ancient Greece and Rome frequently feature in contemporary media such as books, movies, and video games, but the history and culture of these ancient societies continues to reverberate in areas as diverse as politics, religion, and economics. This course examines the classical world and its modern reception, introducing students to the study of Greek and Roman literature, history, and archaeology and discussing how contemporary representations of ancient Greece and Rome reflect trends in society today.
School of Classics, University of St Andrews
Undergraduate students with a GPA of 3.2 or above.
- Contextualise key elements of the Graeco-Roman past
- Evaluate and analyse different forms of evidence critically
- Demonstrate confidence in communicating ideas and interpretations
- Participate effectively in group discussions, debates, and informal presentations
Credits info: 10 EC
Each module is worth 10 Scottish credits (SCQF) credits each, which is equivalent to 100 hours of work (roughly 1/3 contact hours and 2/3 self-directed study). You will complete work for graded assessment and receive a University of St Andrews transcript and certificate.
GBP 5000: The course fee is £5,000. The fee covers:
- Tuition on two modules, for credit
- Access to the University of St Andrews Professional Skills Curriculum
- From Saturday 4 June to Saturday 2 July 2022: accommodation in our residences, en-suite in shared five-person apartments (sharing with other Summer School students)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily (except Friday evening to Sunday, when you will get breakfast and can use the self-catered kitchens for other meals on those days)
- An extracurricular programme of excursions, cultural and social activities
- Sports Centre membership for the duration of the summer school
- Access to University services as a registered student of St Andrews, including the Library, IT Services, Student Services
The fee does not include airfare.
For further information, please click the "LINK TO ORIGINAL" button below.