The leader of an independent research group
The Cluster of Excellence "Machine Learning - New Perspectives for Science" at the University of Tübingen offers several positions as The leader of an independent research group (TV-L E14/E13, 100%) to be filled as soon as possible.
The call is aimed at young scientists who have completed an excellent doctorate in relevant fields. Applications with varying degrees of research experience after the doctorate are welcome: we are going to appoint early career groups for researchers directly after the doctorate (funded by the equal opportunity funds), as well as more experienced group leaders with some years of postdoc experience.
The research groups will initially run for four years. After a positive evaluation, they can be extended by up to three more years. All groups come with funding for PhD students/postdocs and independent research funding.
Successful applicants are expected to conduct internationally recognized research on methods of machine learning. In accordance with the setup of the cluster, the research focus of the groups can be in the field of machine learning itself, its application in a scientific discipline or the philosophical/ethical reflection of machine learning in science.
We expect expertise in at least one of the following research fields:
- Probabilistic modelling, e.g. quantification of uncertainty in scientific models, Bayesian active learning for experimental design, Bayesian deep learning.
- Interactive and interpretable machine learning in science
- Automatic learning of models in science, e.g. by integrating prior knowledge, the discovery of latent variables or automatic model critique
- Development of machine learning methods for a specific scientific discipline, such as physics, neuroscience, medicine, bioinformatics, geosciences, linguistics, archaeology or social sciences.
- Philosophy of science and ethics of machine learning
It is expected that the group leaders will actively participate in the Cluster of Excellence and carry out joint research projects at the interface between machine learning and applied scientific discipline. Participation organization and implementation of the Cluster of Excellence is desirable.
The University aims to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore urges suitably qualified women scientists to apply. Qualified international researchers are expressly invited to apply. Severely disabled persons with equal aptitude will be given preferential consideration.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: