Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS)
For excellent Non-EEA students joining a full-time Leiden University Master's degree programme; and for excellent students of all nationalities joining an LLM Advanced Studies programme or the Master’s in International Relations & Diplomacy.
- Programmes starting Feb: 1 Oct / Programmes starting Sept: 1 Feb / Exception - LLM Advanced Studies programmes: 1 March
- Target group
- Countries/ nationalities
- Non EEA students / Exception: All nationalities for LLM Advanced Studies programmes & MSc Int. Relations and Diplomacy
- Scholarship type
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
Students applying for all Master's programmes at Leiden University - with the exception of regular LLM (non-advanced) programmes, which do not offer LEx Scholarships.
Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master's programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness.
Applicants must have a non EEA* passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exceptions of students applying for the programmes listed below, for which no nationality restrictions apply:
- All LLM Advanced Studies programmes
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
* EEA = All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
Students who are granted a LExS must comply with, and confirm in writing, their agreement with the Rules and Regulations attached to the scholarship prior to the awarding of the scholarship.
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University Master’s degree, with the exception of students applying for a Master programme for which a specified previous Master programme or work experience is mandatory (e.g. LLM advanced studies programmes).
- It is not possible to combine the LExS with another scholarship financed by Leiden University.
- It is not possible to combine the LExS with another full scholarship from an external provider. Students are obliged to notify the scholarships department if they receive a full scholarship from another source. In some circumstances, the LExS may be combined with a partial scholarship from an external provider. Contact the Scholarships Team for further details.
Scholarship or loan amount
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
- Apply online for admission to a Master's programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
- The faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and inform the Scholarships Team, up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
- The Scholarships Team will notify all LExS applicants of the decisions:
- At the end of November - for the February intake.
- At the end of April - for the September intake.
The student is responsible for submitting a complete application, according to the steps described above and before the aforementioned deadline. Leiden University cannot be held responsible for late and/or incomplete applications.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: