International Visiting Research Scholars
The Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies is offering International Visiting Research Scholars (IVRS) awards of $15,000 to bring some of the world’s best scholars to UBC.
Exceptional scholars who have achieved the highest levels of distinction in their fields, and whose work has had a broad impact well beyond any one discipline are invited to spend time at UBC and the Peter Wall Institute. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated their commitment to working across disciplinary boundaries.
The Institute will partner with UBC faculties, departments and research centres to attract outstanding scholars to UBC for an extended stay, providing opportunities to foster interdisciplinary academic exchange and catalyze new research directions between UBC and international scholars.
IVRS will spend a minimum of three weeks at UBC, with part-time residence at the Institute, during the academic term from September 2018 - May 2019.
- To bring outstanding international scholars to UBC for extended visits, in partnership with UBC’s faculties, departments and research centres.
- To foster basic and advanced research in an interdisciplinary research environment.
- To serve as a catalyst for longer-term interdisciplinary research relationships through the Institute.
- Top-tier international standing and contribution of the nominee to her/his field of research, as assessed by scholarly contributions and major recognitions
- Demonstrated capacity to shape the direction of research and thought
- Importance of the nominee’s work beyond domain-specific impact, as judged by the breadth of her/his scholarship across multiple disciplines
- Track record of engagement across disciplines
Broad Public Engagement
- Demonstrated ability to engage non-specialist audiences in discussion of big ideas
Quality of Proposed Research and Potential for Catalysis
- Quality of proposal for research and other activities while in residence at the Institute
- Ability for the proposed research to catalyze significant and wide-ranging scholarly discussions and transformative intellectual engagement
UBC faculty wishing to nominate an individual for the visiting scholar awards should note the following requirements and complete the nomination form. Successful candidates will be selected by the Institute’s International Adjudication Committee.
UBC faculty should contact individual nominees to discuss their interest in being nominated as International Visiting Research Scholar at the Institute. Nominators must make it clear that these initial expressions of interest do notconstitute a guarantee that an offer will be made.
- These visiting scholar awards are open to scholars from all countries.
- IVRS nominees must commit to a visit of three (3) weeks minimum in part-time residence at the Institute, during the period of September 2018 to May 2019.
- Nominations must be submitted on the attached form, and supported by at least two (2) UBC faculty members from different departments.
- Each nomination will include: a statement of interest and description of proposed research activities; a summary of significant scholarly contributions and international awards and distinctions; a description of how the scholar proposes to engage with the PWIAS and broader UBC community; a proposed title/ subject area for a lecture and/or other public event; and the nominee’s curriculum vitae (maximum 5 pages). Nominations must include a completed and signed copy of the UBC Research Project Information Form.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.