Early Career Research Fellowships Competition
Welcome to the Churchill College, Fitzwilliam College, Murray Edwards College, Selwyn College, St Edmund's College and Trinity Hall Joint Application Scheme for Early Career Research Fellowships 2018.
This year six colleges invite applications for eleven Early Career Research Fellowships which will normally be tenable for three years from 1 October 2018. Early Career Research Fellowships are initial (normally) post-doctoral positions appropriate to the start of an academic career.
Applications must be received online by 5.00pm on Monday, 13th November 2017. References must be received online no later than 5.00pm on Monday, 20th November 2017. Please note that the application deadline has been extended and that incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. Please make sure that your application and your referees' reports reach us before the closing date.
- Early Career Research Fellowships are open to graduates, women and men, of any university who have recently or are about to complete their doctorates.
- Candidates would normally be expected to have completed no more that 5 years full time equivalent post-doctoral research. Research Fellowships will not normally be awarded to people who have held comparable post-doctoral positions.
- Successful candidates will normally have submitted their theses by the commencement of the Fellowship.
- The statements of research should be no more than 1,000 words outlining the work candidates would submit in support of their applications, if requested, and the research they propose to do if elected. Please note that it will be read by people outside, as well as within, the candidate's own discipline and should therefore be intelligible to scholars in other subjects.
- Applications must be submitted online by 5.00pm on Monday, 13th November 2017.
- Written material is not required at this stage, but it is essential to have written work readily accessible, because those candidates whose applications are selected for further assessment will be invited by 10th January 2018 to submit a copy of their chosen written work electronically. This must be received no later than midnight on Sunday, 14th January 2018. Please ensure that your contact details on your application are kept up to date (preferably giving your e-mail and phone details).
- The Colleges are concerned with the quality, rather than quantity, of the work submitted but, in order that an informed assessment may be made, it is important that sufficient material should be available. The work for submission to external assessors should be in the region of 12,000 words and no more than 20,000 words at the absolute maximum.
- Submitted work should normally be in English but if candidates intend to submit work in a foreign language, they should give notice by indicating this on the Application Form where they enter the title of the work.
- The application process begins week commencing Monday, 9th October 2017.
- Applications, must be submitted through the website, and received by the administrator by 5.00pm on Monday, 13th November 2017. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Two reports from independent referees, both of whom should be familiar with the candidate's research work, must be submitted through the website by 5.00pm on Monday, 20th November 2017. One of these referees should normally be your PhD supervisor.
- Candidates will be selected to send samples of written work by midnight on Sunday, 14th January 2018.
- Candidates will be called to interview (by Fitzwilliam College, Murray Edwards College, Selwyn College, St Edmund's College or Trinity Hall) in early March 2018. Churchill College does not interview candidates.
- Elections will be made no later than 23rd March 2018.
- Successful candidates will enter into their Fellowships on 1st October 2018.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.