outstanding researchers of any discipline
Scholars/Scientists should be guaranteed the greatest possible freedom and flexibility in the performance of their research.
The Wittgenstein Award provides both recognition and support to excellent scholars/scientists (up to 60 years of age) who have already produced exceptional scientific work and who occupy a prominent place in the international scientific community. Awardees should be guaranteed the maximum possible level of freedom and flexibility in the performance of their research, thereby facilitating an increase in their scientific productivity.
- may only come from people entitled to make such proposals (Rector of Austrian universities, Vice Rector for Research of Austrian universities, President of the OeAW, President of IST-Austria and all previous Wittgenstein Awardees)
- self-nominations are not permitted
- start of call: July 2017
- deadline for nominations: 20th September 2017
- documents for a nomination may only be requested by persons eligible to make a nomination, please contact Mario Mandl
- decisions taken by the International START-/Wittgenstein-Jury based on an international review process in June 2018
- awarded by the Federal Minister for Science
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.