CFP: Multilateral Dynamics between the Middle East and Asia (Haifa, December 2019)
The Asian Sphere: Trans-Cultural Flows
An Inter-University Graduate Program
The University of Haifa and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Call for Papers for an International Conference:
Multilateral Dynamics between the Middle East and Asia
CURRENT AND HISTORICAL PERSEPCTIVES
We are delighted to announce that the fifth annual conference of the Asian Sphere Program will take place on Monday-Wednesday, 16-18 December 2019, at the University of Haifa, Israel.
The Asian Sphere Program takes a fresh look at the continent of Asia as a concept and as a reality. It aims at exploring and analyzing the numerous interconnections that have tied its people, cities, and nations. Our fifth conference is devoted to the complex relations between West Asia, also known as the Middle East, and other parts of the continent in the past and present. We are interested in particular in the political, military, economic and cultural aspects of the relations, their determinants, undercurrents, and trajectories, as well as in other external players in the region.
We invite paper proposals in one of the following thematic domains:
- Prehistorical and historical multilateral connections (including unilateral migrations) between the Middle East and Asia (East, South, Central).
- New perspectives on historical involvements, competition and rivalry of Asian powers in the Middle East.
- Globalization, the Middle East and Asia.
- World powers' involvement in Asia-Middle East interaction.
- The role of the Middle East in Asian powers' relations with other world/regional powers.
- Asian countries' interaction with non-Mideast players in the context of the Middle East.
- Involvement of Mideast players in Asian affairs.
- Israel’s current involvement in Asian dynamics.
- Asian countries' interaction with Israel.
- The involvement of non-Asian players in Israel's relations with Asian powers.
Proposals for papers, as well as further enquiries, should be sent by email to the conference secretariat (TheAsianSphere@gmail.com). Single-page proposals should include the following four items:
1. Title of the presentation.
2. Abstract (150-200 words).
3. Bio-note (150-200 words) with details about current affiliation and rank, educational background, and major relevant publications.
4. An explicit statement to which of the above domains the proposal relates.
The deadline for submitting proposals is 20 February 2019.
Accepted proposals will be notified by 20 March 2019.
Full papers (5,000-7,000 words, excluding bibliography) are an essential requirement of participation. The papers should be submitted to the Conference's secretariat by 15 November 2019. We plan to publish an edited volume based on the conference papers.
The organizers will cover three-night stay in Haifa and will be able to assist in defraying the transportation cost from Europe and Western Asia/Middle East (up to US$600) and beyond these regions (up to US$1,000) for scholars whose proposals will be accepted.
The conference will be conducted in English. It is open to the public and participation is free of charge. We would be grateful if you could distribute this call for papers among your colleagues. Please save the dates!
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: