The Catto Combined MSc and Ph.D. Scholarships at CAS
The Centre of African Studies, University of Edinburgh is pleased to announce the availability of 2 full scholarships for suitable applicants to study for an MSc in Africa and International Development and subsequent Ph.D. in African Studies
Successful applicants will start their studies in September 2021. These Scholarships were made possible through generous funding from the Stephen Gordon Catto Charitable Trust and will cover full fees as well as a monthly maintenance stipend throughout the one-year MSc and subsequent three years of Ph.D. study. These scholarships have been designed as a combined package in order to enable those who may not feel they have sufficient research experience to embark on a Ph.D. to get that grounding with an MSc. The MSc year helps build a bridge between undergraduate studies and the Ph.D. We hope the combined package of support encourages some who may not have thought a Ph.D. was in reach to re-consider. A key goal of the scholarships is to diversify the scholars from the African continent who contribute original and important research to African Studies.
To be eligible, applicants must:
1. have received an excellent undergraduate degree (minimum of a high 2.1) in the social sciences from an accredited university in Africa (a Masters degree achieved with distinction will be an advantage).
2. not have previously received a degree from a university outside Africa
3. be a citizen of, and be normally domiciled in, an African country
4. demonstrate commitment to studying for a Ph.D. in African Studies
5. demonstrate leadership potential and intention to maximize the impact of their research.
6. have received an offer to study for the MSc in Africa and International Development and/or the Ph.D. in African Studies at the University of Edinburgh. Preference will be given to those studying conflict resolution, elections, technology, peacebuilding, and/or governance in African contexts, although the selection panel may consider other areas in the field of politics and international development.
How to Apply
If you are interested and meet all of the above, please send:
1. A summary of your research proposal (maximum 2 pages)
2. A cover letter indicating your motivations, leadership experience, and future plans (maximum 1 page)
3. An academic CV, clearly showing the class of degree and previous educational achievements (maximum 2 pages)
4. 1 letter of reference
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf document on or before 12: Noon GMT on March 30th, 2021 to email@example.com
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: www.cas.ed.ac.uk/news/3months/2021/the_catto_combined_msc_and_phd_scholarships_at_cas but this link is no more active.