PHD POSITION ON OPTIMIZATION OF PLASTIC SORTING AND RECYCLING
- You are part of a multidisciplinary research group working on the topic of Life Cycle Engineering under the supervision of Dr. Jef Peeters, Prof. Joost Duflou and Prof. Dirk Cattrysse.
- You are responsible for the development of optimization models to determine the preferred treatment process from an economic and/or environmental perspective for specific WEEE and ELV categories to answer questions, such as “Which products should be treated together?”, “Should plastic components be dismantled and sorted on a component level or be shredded and separated afterwards”, “How can the purity of the output of an existing plastic recycling process be improved with minimal investment?”.
- You contribute to organizing and performing practical experiments for the sorting and recycling of plastics to gather relevant data for the optimization model.
- You independently follow-up literature, patents, company releases, conferences, etc. and attend international conferences.
- You report to your supervisors and to industrial partners during project meetings and contribute to the writing of project proposals.
- You act as a coach for Master students.
- You hold a Master in Engineering and you have demonstrated excellent optimization and research skills.
- You foster excellent mathematical and algorithmic skills, yet like to combine these with an experimental validation approach by designing physical test set-ups and executing experiments.
- You like to consider the broader picture and to perform life cycle costing and environmental analyses.
- You are fascinated by environmental impact reduction strategies and you like to contribute to a significant shift in some impact generating systems.
- You have a creative mind set and are not afraid to take initiative to look for innovative ideas and new opportunities.
- Dutch speaking or willing to improve your language skills is an asset.
- You are fluent in English.
- We offer a varied and challenging job in close cooperation with industry combined with an attractive salary package.
- We offer a research position in a stimulating and multi-disciplinary environment and a strong industrial network.
- We give you the opportunity to obtain a PhD and build an international network.
- We offer a work location in the nice environment of Campus Arenberg in Heverlee, Belgium.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: