PhD candidate Quantitative Systems Pharmacology of Antibiotics (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number: 16-253
With the rise of antibiotic resistance, development of novel treatment strategies for bacterial infections is becoming increasingly important. This project aims to develop novel pharmacometric and computational systems pharmacology models to inform the selection of optimal antibiotic treatment strategies, with a focus on antibiotic efficacy and resistance development. For this purpose, clinical pharmacokinetic and biomarker data from patients, and experimental data characterizing antibiotic effiacy and resistance, will be analyzed. Potentially, the work will include some experimental work to support the development of the computational models. The project will be performed at the Division of Pharmacology, at the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research, Netherlands. There is a possibility of working at a research institute in New York, United States in the first year.
- Highly motivated researcher with an interest in drug research;
- Degree in (bio-) pharmaceutical, biomedical or bioengineering sciences, or comparable training;
- Strong affinity with quantitative approaches (i.e. modeling and simulation, data analysis, programming, biostatistics) is essential;
- Experience with dynamical modeling in computational biology or pharmacology is desirable;
- Basic experience with cell culture and cell biology techniques is an advantage;
- Able work and communicate effectively in a multidisciplinary team;
- Willingness to spend 6 to 9 months in the United States in the period between December 2016-November 2017 is a plus.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Coen van Hasselt, email email@example.com, or Piet van der Graaf, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Mrs. M. Hofman, secretary Pharmacology Department LACDR, telephone: +31 71 527 6211.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to Mrs. M. Hofman, email@example.com. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number 16-253:
- A letter with your motivation for this position;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Name and contact information of 3 references.
Only applications received no later than September 11, 2016 can be considered.
For more information click "Further official information" below.