Gerald D. Feldman Travel Grants
Once a year, supported by the Peters Beer Foundation, part of the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft (Donors' Association for the Promotion of Humanities and Sciences in Germany), the Max Weber Foundation (MWS) confers Gerald D. Feldman Travel Grants to young academics with an international focus.
The travel grants are meant to improve the career opportunities for humanities and social science academics in their qualification phase. The scientists conduct a self-chosen research project in at least two and at most three host countries which are home to MWS institutes and branches or at the Richard Koebner Minerva Center for German History. The total term of funding shall not exceed three months. Placements (at most one month per host country, shorter stays are possible) are to be used for research, especially in libraries and archives. Academics are expected to produce transnational and transregional studies, providing research with new and original ideas. The research placements should ideally be completed within 12 months, or at most 24.
Funding is based on the rates of Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and covers:
- documented travel costs for travel to the foreign institute and back (least expensive route);
- daily rates between € 27.00 and € 58.00 depending on the host country;
- lodging in one of the institute’s inexpensive guest rooms depending on the host country chosen and on availability.
Countries and regions
China, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Poland, Russia, Senegal, Turkey, USA
Applications for the country of the applicant’s main place of residence will not be considered.
Conditions for application
Applications may be filed by highly qualified humanities and social science academics of any nationality (highest degree must be at least a Master, M.A., state examination or German Diplom) who have already published in acknowledged scientific journals and can present a research plan. Applications for projects related to research priorities pursued by the Foundation’s institutes/branches will take precedence.
All application papers must be submitted in German or English. A complete application will comprise the following information:
- completed application form;
- a detailed presentation (max. 3-5 pages) of the intended research project, stating the sources which justify the stay in the specific host countries or at the institutes;
- copies of certificates (examinations, PhD certificate)
- list of publications
- a reference opinion from an expert which should provide information on the applicant’s status and the progress of work and be sent directly to the Max Weber Foundation’s central office
- a letter confirming supervision by the host institution in Germany, if applicable.
The next deadline for applications is 13 October 2017.
Please e-mail your application to email@example.com using the required form (see: "Further information").
Information can be obtained from Hanna Pletziger by e-mail at feldman(at)maxweberstiftung.de or by phone on +49 (228) 377 86-38.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: