Conference and Event Coordinator
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, organizes details of events such as conferences, seminars, workshops, and reunions. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Liaises with client to determine requirements. Coordinates all arrangements and ensures the smooth functioning of these events. Maintains records. Monitors and administers operating fund or accounts.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organizes details of events such as conferences, seminars, workshops, receptions and reunions. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training.
- Liaises with client to determine requirements and discuss arrangements. Coordinates all arrangements such as locations, room bookings, setups, cleanliness, staffing, seating, food and bar service and equipment rentals. Prepares items such as name tags, lists of attendees and agendas.
- Maintains records concerning eligible or potential attendees. Obtains lists and other data. Verifies, arranges, and reviews data. Types, proofreads, edits, assembles and disseminates mailings. Coordinates typesetting, printing, and mass mailings.
- Liaises with speakers. Makes travel and hotel arrangements. Prepares travel expense reports for reimbursement of speakers. Receives papers to be presented. Ensures they are edited and submitted to appropriate publication.
- Promotes and provides information on university facilities and services. Provides quotations for clients. Contacts and recruits volunteers for certain events.
- Attends events to monitor arrangements and ensures smooth functioning of all activities. Liaises with facilities personnel and suppliers of contracted services. Solves problems that arise during events. Liaises with appropriate units regarding security services and safety regulations.
- Collects and deposits fee payments. Monitors costs. Verifies accuracy of all expenses. Discusses adjustments to invoices for unsatisfactory services.
- Processes liquor applications or liaises with appropriate unit to have applications processed. May monitor purchase and sale of alcoholic beverages, including inventory and budget control.
- Makes recommendations to supervisor concerning new contracts or renewals with suppliers of contracted services. Monitors operation of services according to agreements. Verifies accuracy of commissions.
- Maintains an inventory of materials and supplies appropriate to the activities of the unit. Places orders to replenish stock.
- Monitors and administers operating funds and accounts. Reviews statements of expenses and revenues. Prepares budgets according to guidelines. Compiles data and prepares reports and statistics.
- Word processes drafts, correspondence and reports. Composes correspondence and reports. Attends committee meetings and takes minutes.
- Ensures proper maintenance of the unit's filing system.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
How To Apply:
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number, via email to: email@example.com.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.