INTRODUCTION TO CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (CSR):
Myth, reality, or just a PR stunt?
November 8 - 25, 2016, AUA, Yerevan, Armenia
By Nazareth Seferian
This is a course that presents the concept of corporate social responsibility (CSR) or sustainability. It explains what CSR is and how it differs from corporate philanthropy, commercial sponsorship and social enterprise and provides participants with the theoretical basis and practical skills to identify the priority areas for business sustainability in any company and develop an initial CSR strategy. The training is designed to take 18 hours; it includes video materials, case studies, debates, quizzes, role play and teamwork. The language of instruction is English.
The course includes a large amount of discussion. It focuses on real-life examples of CSR success stories both in Armenia and other countries, as well as an examination of hot topics in this area locally and globally (plastic bags, mining, the disappearance of bees etc.).
At the end of the course, participants will have a clear idea of the role of business in sustainable development. This will be useful to participants from the private sector because they can directly apply their knowledge to develop CSR in the companies where they work. It will also be very useful to those from the non-profit sector seeking to learn how to develop partnerships with businesses, as well as participants who want to raise their own awareness as consumers and citizens.
Dates: November 8 – 25
Schedule: 2 times a week, 3 hours per session
Duration: 3 weeks, 18 hours
Fee: AMD 54,000
About the instructor: Nazareth Seferian has been working in Corporate Social Responsibility in Armenia for more than 8 years. As programs manager at the British Council, he set up and coordinated a working group on CSR that organized one of the first conferences on this topic in 2008. He was responsible for all CSR and philanthropy activities at the mobile communications company Orange Armenia from 2011 to 2014 and oversaw programs that impacted more than a hundred thousand people all over the country. Currently a freelance CSR trainer consultant, Nazareth is part of a group of individuals who have founded a new organization in Armenia to promote the concept of sustainable business in Armenia. He has authored two manuals on CSR in Armenian, as well as a guidebook on Social Enterprise. He also writes articles from time to time for Responsible Business magazine, based in Lebanon. Besides a background in healthcare and community development, Nazareth Seferian holds a post-graduate certificate in sustainability business from the University of Cambridge.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.