FAO - Hungarian Government Scholarship 2016-2017 - Introduction and procedures
The following Master of Science degree courses are being offered in English for the 2016-2017 Academic Year:
- Agricultural sciences
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Animal nutrition and feed safety
The following universities are participating:
- Szent István University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Szent István University, Faculty of Horticultural Sciences (previously having belonged to the Corvinus University of Budapest)
- Kaposvár University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Application and selection process
The selection process as described below applies to scholarships beginning in September 2016.
Student selection will take place in two phases:
Phase 1: FAO will pre-screen candidates and submit recommendations to the Ministry of Agriculture of Hungary that will send them to the corresponding University as chosen by the applicants. Students must submit only COMPLETED dossiers. Incomplete dossiers will not be considered. It is important to note that a favourable pre-screening in the first step does not guarantee selection.
Phase 2: Selected candidates may be asked to take a written or oral English examination as part of the admission procedure. The participating Universities will run a further selection process and inform each of the successful candidates. Student selection will be made by the Universities only, without any involvement on the part of FAO. Selected students will also be notified by the Ministry.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Citizenship and residency of one of the eligible countries
- Excellent school achievements
- English language proficiency (for courses taught in English)
- Good health
- Age (candidates under 30 are preferred)
Interested applicants should prepare a dossier to be sent by e-mail consisting of:
- Application form duly completed
- A recent curriculum vitae
- A copy of high school/college diploma and transcript/report of study or copy of the diploma attachment
- A copy of certificate of proficiency in English
- Copies of relevant pages of passport showing expiration date and passport number
- A letter of recommendation
- Statement of motivation
- Health Certificate issued by Medical Doctor
- Certificate of Good Conduct issued by local police authority.
All submitted documents must be in English. Documents submitted in any other language will not be accepted. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that documents are duly translated and certified by a competent office; and that each document is saved with a name that identifies what it is.
Applications by interested candidates should be submitted by e-mail to FAO in the period
04 January - 28 February 2016
Paper copies of dossiers received by post or courier or any other way, will not be taken into consideration.
As the number of scholarships is limited, interested applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
Applicants who were not selected in previous years may re-apply to the 2016-2017 Programme. These applicants will have to submit the complete dossier once again (by e-mail only!).
Please note that the duration of the scholarship cannot be extended.
A Scholarship Study Contract will be signed between the selected student and the Ministry of Agriculture of Hungary (MoAH), which is the donor of the program at the time of first semester registration.
Applicants wishing to explore external funding opportunities to cover the travel costs may do so at their own initiative. However, in view of the length of the process, applicants wishing to apply for 2016 scholarships are strongly encouraged to E-MAIL their application while they endeavour to identify funds or pending confirmation that such funds will be granted.
All queries concerning the programme or the application process should be sent by e-mail to