Gates Cambridge Scholarship for International Students
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant's qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
While at Cambridge, Scholars pursue full range of subjects available at the University and are spread through its departments and Colleges.
Our Alumni are pursuing further study or employment across many sectors of society and, despite the relative youth of the programme, are increasingly taking on leadership roles and applying their knowledge and skills to improve the lives of others.
The aim of the Gates Cambridge programme is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
- First class of Scholars took up their awards in 2001
- Currently over 1,400 Gates Cambridge Scholars and Alumni from more than 100 countries
- 95 new Scholarships awarded each year: 40 in US round 55 in international round
- 225 Scholars from c. 50 countries studying in Cambridge
- Over 1,000 Alumni spread across the globe
The two application rounds:
- Round 1: US citizens normally resident in the USA
- Round 2: citizens of all countries other than the USA (except the United Kingdom) and US citizens normally resident outside the USA
Key dates for each round for October 2017 entry are given below.
How to apply
Standard applications (via the Graduate Admissions Office)
Applicants apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and admission to their chosen postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge and a Cambridge College via the Graduate Admissions Office, using the Graduate Application Form and supporting documents.
It is not possible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship without applying to the University of Cambridge. You must apply for admission as a postgraduate student to the University of Cambridge and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship at the same time, using the one application pack.
[If you are applying for admission to the MBA or Master of Finance programme you apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship via the Judge Business School
To be considered for postgraduate admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship all applicants must submit the following documents to the Graduate Admissions Office by the relevant deadline:-
- Graduate Application Form (which includes a Gates Cambridge section)
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references
- 1 personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
Although not specifically required for the Gates Cambridge application, the Graduate Admissions Office or academic department may require some applicants to submit the following for admission to the University:
- English language test scores (if English is not your first language)
- A research proposal, an example of your written work, a GRE/GMAT score, etc. Not all applicants will be required to submit such documents – you will find details of what you need to submit in the Graduate Studies Prospectus and department website.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit all documents required so they can be considered for both admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: