- The applicant must hold at least a B.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related program. At the time of application preliminary transcripts are accepted. Final transcripts must be provided upon enrollment.
- The grade average of the previous study should prove high qualification of the applicant. This will normally be the case for a grade average of ‘B’ or better in terms of the ECTS grading scale.
- Applicants need to prove that they have sufficient fluency in English. We normally ask for IELTS 6.5 overall with at least 6.0 in each competency. This corresponds to a TOEFL result with a score of about 600 paper-based/250 computer-based/95 internet-based test.
- The proof of English proficiency is required even when the language of instruction for the previous education was English. However, for nationals of these countries (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, United States of America) the proof of language proficiency is waived.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Taking the GRE test is recommended but not mandatory. The GRE code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7143.
The applicant must show that he/she is well motivated for the Embedded Computing Systems programme by writing a short letter of motivation of about one page.
The application must be supported by two letters of recommendation from university professors or employers.
All applications will be assessed by the EMECS selection committee. The selection will be based on the student's profile and qualifications:
- Academic records of previous studies
- Scientific background
- Ranking of academic institution where undergraduate studies were done
- Motivation letter
- Recommendation letters
- English language
- Acquired practical experience
- Awards and grants
1) All applications have to be done online through the EMECS application platform. The platform will open at September 26, 2016 and will be closed on January 31, 2017. Only complete online applications are eligible and can be assessed.
2) Selection results for all applicants will be announced via email in April/May 2017.
3) Selected applicants have to confirm their acceptance within one week after receipt of selection result by sending the signed Declaration of Acceptance.
4) Admission letters are sent by postal mail as soon as the declaration of acceptance arrives at the coordinating office.
5) Visa application should be started as soon as you receive your admission letter. Don’t forget that 2 to 3 months are usually necessary to obtain a visa for Europe.
6) Applicants selected for EMECS, who only submitted preliminary certificates have to provide their final degree certificate upon enrollment.
7) Candidates selected for EMECS will have to bring all submitted and requested documents in original upon enrollment.
8) Scholarship holders will be asked to provide a proof of their current place of residence (e.g. residence certificate/certificate from candidates place of work, study or training) within one month after declaring their acceptance.
EMECS is part of the Erasmus+ Program starting from the 2017/2018 student intake. Under Erasmus+ we can offer a limited number of EMJMD scholarships for top ranked applicants. During the application process you can state if you also want to apply for a scholarship along with your application for the EMECS Programme.
What does an EMECS - EMJMD scholarship cover?
The EMJMD student scholarship for the EMECS programme includes:
A tuition waiver: this covers the costs for programme tuition, enrollment and health insurance
A monthly living allowance amounting to 1,000 EUR for the entire duration of the EMECS programme (24 months): this allowance is dedicated to covering your living costs while studying in EMECS
A contribution to travel and installation costs: this is meant to support your travel and settling at an EMECS location (e.g., flight airfare and visa fees)
1,000 EUR per year: payable to scholarship holders with residence in Erasmus+ programme countries
2,000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1000 € for installation costs: payable to scholarship holders with residence in a partner country which is located in a distance of less than 4,000 km from the EMECS Coordination Office (University of Kaiserslautern, Germany)
3,000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1000 € for installation costs: payable to scholarship holders with residence in a partner country which is located in a distance of 4,000 km or more from the EMECS Coordination Office (University of Kaiserslautern, Germany)
For more official information click "Further official information" below.