Cross-Border Journalism programme
Autumn 2017 call for applications for the fifth season of "Cross-Border journalism" programme is now open
The new digital era of media, and the globalisation of economic and political processes have brought new challenges to journalism. In particular, they have highlighted the need to develop international professional networks in order to understand regional characteristics and better cover transnational stories.
To reflect the needs of journalists Perspektivy is opening a scheme that aims to connect journalists in ‘cross-border’ collaboration. Journalists and bloggers from Russia, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, the Baltics or the Caucasus will have the opportunity to work together to produce stories through partnership and collaboration that transcend their national border. Participants will be offered distance mentoring and seminars to help them to produce insightful stories. Perspektivy will cover participants’ costs for research trips as part of the project.
"Cross-Border journalism" programme is an opportunity for journalists and bloggers in the early and mid stages of their career looking for the chance to develop their skills in international reporting and enhance their professional network abroad.
Working in teams, participants can produce joint or individual work. These stories can be on any topic, as long as they draw on examples from outside of their home country. For example, refugee and migrant crises, climate changes, food production and its export/import, media, or civil society. Other ideas are welcome.
Candidates may apply as part of a team, or individually, and allow Perspektivy mentors to match them up with another journalist. Priority will be given to team applications where participants represent different countries and media outlets. For individual applicants in addition to story idea we recommend to give us a list of topics and areas of their journalistic interests for we could invite successful individual candidates to become a part of other project teams. For team application each member of the team have to fill in application form individually though list other members of a team in the same field of application where the story idea described.
- Journalists, freelancers, bloggers must apply with a story idea that transcends a national border.
- Priority will be given to those team applications where participants of the team are from different countries and media outlets
- This scheme is open to journalists, freelancers, bloggers producing stories in Russian for Russian-language media outlets and professionally based in Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, the Baltic states, and the Caucasus.
- Applicants must be professional journalists, freelancers, bloggers at the early to mid point of their, career with a minimum of three years work experience.
- The working language of the programme is Russian. No translation at any point will be provided.
Applications are now open.
You are welcome to apply for the programme until 1 October 2017 by filling out the on-line application form. You will be asked to provide examples of your work and letter of editorial support. Please note that the size of any uploaded files must not exceed 5 MB.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.