What is the Negotiations in Practice training course?
The purpose of this five-day advanced training course is to provide participants with a practical insight into the mechanisms and dynamics between and within the EU institutions. Our high level trainers will give them the necessary tools and guidance to enhance their negotiation, communication, influencing and lobbying skills.
Drawing on their extensive experience, our experts will teach the participants how to become successful and strategic negotiators within the political and legal structures of the EU.
The Development Office has organised numerous editions of this course since 2004 as part of its professional training courses on EU affairs.
Which methods will be used?
- Interactive training sessions examining theoretical and practical aspects of negotiations and the specificities of the EU decision-making process: the theory and practice of international negotiations; mechanics and dynamics of the EU Institutions; EU decision-making structures; influencing the EU from outside.
- Workshops designed to identify, develop and practise negotiation, communication and other essential skills: communication techniques and strategies; negotiation skills; lobbying strategies.
- Individual feedback sessions for participants to assess their negotiation style and identify areas for improvement.
- Several simulation exercises including a one-day negotiation where participants will take over the role of negotiators in the Council of the European Union and will be confronted with actual conditions and constraints of the official decision-making procedures.
After this one-week advanced training course, you will have gained the necessary know-how and self-confidence to participate effectively and successfully in negotiation processes in an EU context.
The programme will offer you the possibility to:
- Improve your knowledge of the dynamics and mechanics of EU decision-making processes
- Practice your communications skills
- Participate in several exercises, including a simulation game based on Brexit negotiations
- Experience the role of negotiators in the Council of the European Union during a one-day simulation game
- Receive individual feedback and be coached to improve your negotiation skills
- Enjoy a unique opportunity to debate and extend your personal and professional network
- Receive a certificate from the College of Europe upon successful completion
Participants & trainers
The participantsThe course primarily targets officials from EU and non-EU countries and it also attracts professionals from the private sector (e.g. public affairs specialists), civil society organisations, universities and institutes. Participants should have:
- A university degree
- A good command of English, and
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
A maximum of 25 applicants will be selected in order to ensure the course remains highly interactive.
The sessions are provided by high-level speakers from the College of Europe’s experts network. A good balance between professors and practitioners with a sound working experience in and/or with the EU institutions will be guaranteed.
- Theory and practice of international negotiations
- Defining and understanding the specificity of EU negotiations
- EU decision-making structures: the negotiation framework
- EU decision-making processes, including for secondary legislation
- The status of Brexit negotiations
- Communication techniques and strategies
- Negotiation skills
- Influencing skills
Individual and collective feedback will be a key part of the course giving participants the opportunity to maximise their personal learning experience. A coach will give pre and post feedback to each participant as well as recommendations to further enhance participants’ skills.
Tuition fee: the tuition fee is € 2,200, which includes participation in the seminar, the course manual (training material, background readings, and other useful tools), coffee breaks, lunches and social events. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of the participants or their administration.
NB. This course can be attended together with the EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills course. In that case, the total fee for both courses is € 2,700. More information about 'EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills'.
Accommodation: the College of Europe will be pleased to provide you with information on hotels, close to the course venue in the historic city centre of Bruges. Early bird registrations may benefit from preferential rates negotiated with hotels on the basis of first come, first served. Should you wish to use this possibility, please indicate it on the registration form. Payment is to be made directly and personally to the hotels.
Meals: Lunches and coffee breaks are included in the tuition fee. A welcome reception as well as a farewell dinner are also included.
Lecture rooms: The lecture rooms are situated in the centrally locatedVerversdijk and Dijver extensions of the College of Europe. Each room is fully equipped with modern teaching facilities and wireless internet.
College of Europe Library: Participants get full access to the College’s Library which includes a European Documentation Centre.
Click to register: Negotiations in Practice training course on 12-18 November 2018
Early Bird: Register by 31 July 2018 to receive a 10% discount!
|Autumn Seminar (12-18 November 2018)||Tuesday, 22 October 2018|
The registration includes:
- Course materials
- Lunches and coffee breaks
- Social events (guided city tour of Bruges, a Welcome reception and a Farewell dinner)
- Certificate from the College of Europe upon completion of the seminar
Registration for Negotiations in Practice + EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills: € 2,700 - Save 800 € when registering for both courses together!
|Discount type||Discount||Reduced registration fee|
Registered and paid by 31 July 2018
5 participants from the same organisation
to the Executive Education courses
of the College of Europe
working for an EU institution, body or agency
|When registering together with
EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills**
For more information on discounts, please contact us.
* Please note that discounts on the registration fee cannot be combined.
** The registration for the EU Negotiations in Practice and EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills courses should be done at the same time. Two options for payment:
Option 1: Single payment of € 2,700 paid before the beginning of the EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills course.
Option 2: Two instalments. Payment of the full fee of the EU Diplomacy & Diplomatic Skills course (€ 1,300), followed by the payment of the remaining amount (€ 1,400). Each payment should be finalised before the beginning of the respective course.
- Cancellations as of 8 October 2018 will be charged 50% of the fee.
- Cancellations as of 22 October 2018 will be charged 100% of the fee.