Ana Alvarez-Holmberg Scholarship
In memory of Ana Alvarez-Holmberg, a local leader in project management and corporate training, PMI-MN and the Twin Cities chapter of the American Society of Training and Development offer the Ana Alvarez-Holmberg Scholarships.
About Ana Alvarez-Holmberg
Ana, as a project management and training champion and innovator, distinguished herself through her service to both PMI-MN and ATD-GTC. Her untimely passing in September, 2005 at age 46 was the catalyst for members of both professional associations to create a scholarship in her honor.
- Candidates must be an adult learner aged 18-or-older with at least two years of work experience.
- They must have been accepted and/or are currently enrolled in an accredited degree or certificate program in the following fields or closely-related fields: project management; human resources development; organizational development; adult education; or special education.
- They must also either be a member in good standing of PMI or ATD-GTC, or be sponsored by a member in good standing of one of these two organizations. If the candidate is not a member of PMI-MN or ATD-GTC, they must be a resident of Minnesota, North Dakota, or Wisconsin.
"Ana’s family in Peru and I appreciate the efforts of PMI and ATD-GTC to honor her with a scholarship. She was highly-dedicated to her professional life and continued learning, and this is a wonderful way to remember her" - Loras Holmberg, Ana’s husband.
"Ama had a tremendous impact on PMI and ASTD through her kindness, honesty, and energy. She was a model of volunteerism through her committement to us; her faith, family and friends; and to the larger community at large." - Mike Wold, PMI-MN Scholarship Institute
Defined as persons who most closely exhibit Ana’s professional and personal attributes as described below.
1. Demonstrated commitment to community service:
- Community involvement/nonprofit activities
- Caring for people as demonstrated in community service
- Advocate for the disabled
2. Demonstrated commitment to personal advancement and continuous learning:
- Proven commitment for continued education and self development
- Faces career or life-altering experiences with gusto
- Demonstrates respect and acceptance of others
- Honors diversity and values heritage and individual uniqueness of others
- Teaches, trains, coaches and mentors others
3. Exhibits high personal standards and passion for life:
- Offers sincere and genuine interaction with others
- Driven by integrity and high standards
- Elicits courage and persistence to achieve results
- Willing to explore possibilities and challenges the status quo (boat rocker)
- Demonstrates excitement and energy for goals and objectives
- Exhibits spicy passion and curiosity for life
HOW TO APPLY: The Ana Alvarez-Holmberg Scholarship is presented each year to an adult student who exhibits Ana’s fine characteristics in his/her own life. This $2,000 scholarship will be awarded in September-- applicants can apply between September 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017. (Download application and references template here).
Deadline: May 31, 2017
SELECTION PROCESS: Applications are evaluated by a joint committee of PMI-MN and ATD-GTC, and the winning candidate is chosen by this joint committee. Program administration is managed under the PMI-MN Community Outreach Department under the direction of the Community Services Program Manager.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.