The Department of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies at the Institute of Classics is seeking to appoint a research assistant in the framework of a project on “The Bible in Middle Byzantine Hagiography (8th–10th Century)”, funded by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. In conjunction with KU Leuven (Prof. Dr. Reinhart Ceulemans), the project investigates the role of the Bible in the implementation and dissemination of political and religious decisions through hagiography of the Middle Byzantine period (detailed information on the project is available on the homepage of the departments in Cologneand Leuven). The successful candidate will be supervised at both universities and will work towards obtaining a joint PhD degree awarded by both institutions.
- carry out your own research in order to complete a doctoral dissertation in the framework of the project (joint PhD, supervised in Cologne and Leuven)
- complete the doctoral thesis within the duration of the research project; the thesis will be written in German or English
- be willing to work in a team and to be open to international collaboration and mobility (the successful candidate will be based in Cologne but will also spend time in Leuven)
- contribute to the scholarly activities of the research group (the successful candidate will help with the organization of an international conference in Leuven in autumn 2024)
- present and publish your researchresults at national and international conferences and in academic volumes and journals
- an MA or comparable degree with distinction in Byzantine Studies or a neighboring discipline (such as Classics)
- a demonstrable interest in academic research with the aim of a doctorate
- the dedication to work out a PhD topic suitable for the researchproject
- very good knowledge of English or German
- experience with Byzantine (esp. hagiographical) literature
- a strong command of classical Greek, and at least good notions of medieval Greek
- reading skills in other languages relevant to the field (such as French, Italian, Russian, Modern Greek)
- social skills and an attitude to work in a team
OFFER FOR YOU
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
- opportunity for remote work
Send your application with proof of the sought-after qualifications (CV, certificates including accurate information on grades and studyresults, letter of motivation, 3-page proposal of the doctoral project).
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.